Surely all 5yo's are like this? (silly GP comment - I hope!)

(29 Posts)
GoldFrankincenseAndTwiglets Mon 10-Dec-12 15:58:40

My DS is very active, quite hyped up a lot of the time, running around and generally acting crazy. We saw our GP this morning (about something completely unrelated) and DS was pulling faces at his sister, mucking about with the curtain etc. The GP said "and he's 5?" I said yes and the GP seemed very surprised and asked "why is he acting like a 2yo?!" I was a bit taken aback and he continued "usually by the time they go to school they calm down a bit - but he hasn't". I asked if he thought I should be concerned and he didn't really answer me.

Surely loads of 5yo boys are like this, aren't they?! I thought it was perfectly normal and it unnerved me somewhat to hear a comment like that. He's not crazy all the time, he does really well at school and is able to sit down and concentrate when his teacher asks.

legoballoon Mon 10-Dec-12 17:22:56

Rude GP in my opinion.
My DC (4 and 7) have moments of pure unbridled energy and silliness. They're children.

If your DS's class teacher is happy, I'd go with her vastly wider range of experience and knowledge.

GoldFrankincenseAndTwiglets Mon 10-Dec-12 18:39:36

He wasn't running around pulling the curtains - he was sitting on a seat the entire time and as he was sitting next to the curtain he just pulled it around him.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who understood what I was asking, your asnwers were very reassuring! It had crossed my mind to ask his teacher if he's ever like it at school - that's a very good point, lego. She's always said he's well-behaved, which I took to mean that he wasn't like it but I could specifically ask her.

Jakeyblueblue Tue 11-Dec-12 09:31:23

I wouldn't worry op.
sounds totally normal.
I took my 8 month ds to the drop in centre with my 7 yr old nephew and 8 yr old step son and they behaved like that. They had been sat waiting for over an hr, were bored and hungry and had had enough.
Some kids are just very spirited and don't do sitting still. Yes they take a bit if extra attention to discipline but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them development wise.

gourd Tue 11-Dec-12 12:23:10

Nowt to do with age, some kids are louder and more physically active than others and will possibly be all their life! We are all different after all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now