Anyone using the Gina Ford method?

(105 Posts)
MarchelineWhatNot Mon 01-Oct-12 04:59:20

Hi, I have just had a baby and am trying the Gina Ford method to get some routine into our lives. I work (freelance) so it would help for me to know when the baby is due a feed or a nap so I can schedule clients. My other kids were fed on demand so this is all new for me.

Is anybody else using this method? If so, how are you getting on?

apartridgeinapeartree Thu 04-Oct-12 08:29:30

You should be able to find the Pombears thread in classics.

No idea about gold. (Was it something to do with the Olympics perhaps? No clue, sorry!)

The mumsnet scarf is a large animal print thing IIRC? Or maybe brown with randoms spots. Not really my thing (sorry) I clicked the link once, though "oh, that's it then" and then didn't rush out to buy one.

Female celebrities wear it from time to time and people get all excited that it's code to tell us that they're a mumsnetter smile

MarchelineWhatNot Thu 04-Oct-12 09:44:07

Female celebrities wear it from time to time and people get all excited that it's code to tell us that they're a mumsnetter.

Goodness me, we're a sad bunch, aren't we? grin

FeralGirlCambs Thu 04-Oct-12 12:47:06

How are you getting on marcheline? I never looked at GF so can't help there but I had a prem baby (-7.5 weeks) whom we took home aged just under 3 weeks and we had a routine from the start, including (horror) waking her in the night for 3 hourly feeds - as I'm sure you know prems risk sleeping through feeds they can't afford to miss due to being titchy. I think being in SCBu for a couple of weeks - in Spain, where they are much more old-fashioned - had helped her almost to fall into a routine before we took her home. She was tube fed initially, then tiny bottles (mostly expressed breast milk) then we got BF established just before bringing her home. Give or take some off days and of course the transition periods from one routine to the next phase, she has been a well-ordered baby. I am self-employed, in publishing, and had only statutory MA (£125 / week) so whilst we could probably have just about afforded me taking time off it would have made life harder and I'd have got SO BORED. I adore DD by the way. I guess all newborns but certainly prem ones sleep a lot (and feed a lot) and I found working right from the start was perfectly possible - as everything was totally thrown in the air by her early arrival it was also pretty necessary. The cluster feeding, once they wake up a bit (I guess around 3-4 weeks) is a reality, though, and can't be routined out. I found Baby Whisperer quite sane though not always practicable. DD slept through at 14 weeks (ie 6 weeks after her due date, basically almost as soon as we let her). Long rambling post. I just wanted to add some personal experience, from which no general principles can be drawn. I always thought routine would be the way I would go, but was lucky in that it just sort of happened - not much time for research what with prem birth whilst on last 'baby-free' holiday! - I have no more idea than anyone whether it can be made to happen if baby is totally unamenable. But I definitely nudged at times - holding off feeds a bit and of course waking to feed (God, it was tempting not to). Good luck and really hope your circs improve. Btw DD is now just under 16 mo, sleeps really well, still has a pretty good routine, though it's transitioned by itself to only one nap, making work time very limited. Slightly tangentially to what you asked, if you CAN work at the newborn stage that's good because it gets harder, in my experience, around 9-10 months.

Rosiesharples Thu 15-Nov-12 10:08:33

We used thr GF routine with DD and it worked really well for us. She was sleeping through by 7 weeks with a dream feed at 11pm. However as the posts indicate it isn't for everyone. I think you have to be flexible with it we adjusted alot of the timings to suit us, there was no way 'baby was up and dressed and bathed and having her feed by 7am'! The key is not to beat yourself up if your baby doesn't fall in with the timings, the first couple of weeks were a bit trying when starting the routine but after that it just clicked for us. Im now expecting again and intend to use the main principles for bubba number two but with adjustments! Good Luck!

Curtsey Thu 15-Nov-12 10:24:55

OP I'm worried about you, do you really really have to go back to work this soon while you're still recovering? Are there any other options for you at all? I say this as someone who went back to work earlyish (when DD was 4 months). Sorry things are so tough for you right now sad

No advice about GF but one thing that was a lightbulb moment for me was googling nap patterns per my baby's age and making a note of them. I had been keeping her awake far too long between feeds rather than trying to guide her to sleep and she was turning into an overtired hellbeast. At 3 weeks I think baby needs to nap something like 45 minutes after first waking? Does that sound right?
Also: Do you have a sling?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now