HELP. 2 yr old beyond hysterical when washing hair

(30 Posts)
allag Thu 24-Nov-11 19:00:45

She literally gets so distressed she invariably ends up throwing up all over the bath. So it is not just a tantrum, it is more than that. She has never had a remotely traumatic experience like soap in the eyes or whatever - she is my second and I have had plenty of practice....I have always made sure i am super gentle, that there is no water on her face, always towel on hand, etc...Tried toys, bubbles - she is impossible to distract. I JUST don't know what to do. It has now made her terrified of having a bath, too - as soon as she hears the bath running she starts running away and screaming hysterically. Shower would be even worse - she wouldn't come near it. I don't know if anyone has experienced similar but I am desperate for advice - I don't want to make it worse and develop into some sort of a persistent phobia but I have to wash her hair at least occasionally! I am now doing it as seldom as I can so most of the time she walks around looking like she needs a wash...smile But it's the vomitting that really upsets me - it is proper distress. Thank you in advance

BabydollsMum Mon 19-Nov-12 22:54:04

Dang, just noticed this is a really old thread too, but hey, there's my advice for what it's worth!

GeetTallBird Tue 20-Nov-12 20:17:14

We agreed today, that she would go in the shower all on her own tonight, I wouldn't be in the bathroom, that there would be no shampoo, it was just a wetting hair shower time. we didn't think there should be any need for either of us shouting or crying and I am so happy to say that she went in, hummed and sang her little heart out in there! I sprayed her wet hair with princess Vosene Spray afterwards and it went so well!!! I am so delighted! Fingers crossed for Sunday smile

spaceangel1382 Wed 21-Nov-12 18:04:42

Try swimming lessons for her. It gave my DD so much confidence in the water

GeetTallBird Sat 24-Nov-12 15:01:07

I tried swimming but she hates it sad never mind, the shower is one step there!

Dry shampoo for the meantime maybe? There's one called Batista or something like that from Boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now