Would you pronounce Esme - Es-me or Es-may?

(60 Posts)
Minicooper Sat 08-Aug-09 10:11:24

I know it depends on whether you use an accent, but just wondering. Think I prefer Es-me, but Es-may is prob the original pronunication. And how popular is it in your neck of the woods?

NimChimpsky Sat 06-Oct-12 20:24:31

Is there a law that Esme threads have to be bumped once a year? I've already contributed to this thread twice. Now three times. In three different namechanges. I need to come up with something new to say about Esme.

Natnat29 Sat 06-Oct-12 20:28:02

Es-may we were going to use it as a middle name but it's getting used a lot at the minute where I live

Tryingtothinkofnewsnazzyname Sat 06-Oct-12 20:29:38

Es-may. Haven't ever met one that was Es-me (although there seem to be lots on here!

Soleil3 Tue 06-May-14 09:49:41

The female version in France is only used if the person speaking the name is a female, it has nothing to do with the bearer of the name and is the name with all French conjugations. Same with male versions

Soleil3 Tue 06-May-14 09:51:19

What version is used - male or female - is decided by the person speaking the word or name, not the actual bearer of the name.

I'm in Scotland and the first one I met was a very posh older lady and she pronounced it Is-meh/may

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 06-May-14 22:07:33

Es-may

TheHorseHasBolted Sun 11-May-14 11:40:31

Es-me unless it's written with an acute accent over the e.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 12-May-14 21:16:57

I used to teach a little girl called Ysmay, which you pronounced Iz-May.

Beautiful.

mathanxiety Tue 13-May-14 04:32:31

Ez-may. And spelled with an accent. I never heard it pronounced any other way tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now