Girls names for dd2 - there's something wrong with all of them!

(65 Posts)
Vronsky Tue 14-Oct-08 21:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eniddo Wed 15-Oct-08 10:43:03

dont worry about it being popular

choose a name you like

I do think ottilie is pretentious though wink

Iris is the best (quite cool, you could be a 13 year old goth called Iris - dont laugh this was dh's criteria for all our dds names)

nailpolish Wed 15-Oct-08 10:44:15

i prefer violet to viola

imogen is nice - who cares if its popular

its not a contest as to who can think of the greatest name
ts about your child and a name that you like

boogeek Wed 15-Oct-08 10:47:31

I think Sylvie is gorgeous - it's on my shortlist if I ever have a DD3!

MrsMattie Wed 15-Oct-08 10:48:16

FWIW

Kitty - I have a problem with 'cutesy' names like this. Coudl it be short for Catherine?

Iris - Don't like it, but it is popular round these here parts (norf London suburbia)

Viola - dreadfully pretentious

Ottilie - ditto

Imogen -I like it

I think Belle and Sylvie/Sylvia are both lovely, simple and not too common.

I prefer Sylvia to Sylvie, and Sylvia 'sits' nicely with Tabitha smile

As an aside, I heard a fab girls name in the playground today Edie. Loved it smile

I prefer Sylvia to Sylvie, and Sylvia 'sits' nicely with Tabitha smile

As an aside, I heard a fab girls name in the playground today Edie. Loved it smile

oops, sorry, twice blush

BabyBaby123 Wed 15-Oct-08 10:54:14

Iris is lovely - it is popular but not too popular like Ellie, Chloe type names....

PuzzleRocks Wed 15-Oct-08 11:05:51

I know of someone who had heard the name Ottilie but had not seen it written down and so her daughter was christened Otter-Leigh. grin

Vronsky Wed 15-Oct-08 11:09:19

Vronsky Wed 15-Oct-08 11:13:11

Vronsky Wed 15-Oct-08 11:16:01

I had a friend at school called Violetta
would that be better maybe?

LaDiDaDi Wed 15-Oct-08 11:19:56

I like Elspeth but someohow it seems abit too "old lady chic" next to Tabitha which is more funky??

soundbites Wed 15-Oct-08 12:57:59

Elspeth is my name and I love it now, although when I was a child I thought my parents a bit mean for giving me such an unusual name! I do find that some people expect me to be old (I'm 30). I met a client in person once who I'd just dealt with by e-mail and he said he thought I was a granny! But I do think it is a lovely name. I never allowed it to be shortened, but Elle is what people tried to shorten it to …

Rhiannon is one of my fave names at the moment, for what it's worth. Plus Meryl and Rosanne. I think any of them would go well with Tabitha. I also like Tamsin and Tamara but you probably don't want another T.

I love the name Elspeth smile Absolutely gorgeous.

nappyaddict Wed 15-Oct-08 22:11:26

I like Viola best.

kerala Thu 16-Oct-08 20:48:38

What stats say Iris is getting popular? Its not in the National Stats top 100 names for 2007 are there other stats?

moonincancer Thu 16-Oct-08 20:57:59

violetta...how beautiful is that! also, belle with a b surname would be fine i think.

jeanjeannie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:22:56

I've got an Iris, so I'm biased! I'm in Bucks and not really seen it catch on here as a popular name.

Love Sylvie VERY much - gorgeous.

Coralie and Elodie are nice names too

janeite Thu 16-Oct-08 21:28:03

I like Iris, with Belle as a middle name.

I don't think Kitty "goes" well with Tabitha, for the reason you say. Don't like Ottilie at all, sorry.

Imogen isn't my favourite name BUT it goes well with Tabitha and, like Iris, would work really well with Belle as a middle name.

UmMwahahahaaaaa Thu 16-Oct-08 21:38:20

I am an urban girl and I love Imogen. smile

berolina Thu 16-Oct-08 21:43:18

Love Sylvie (Sylvia is nicer still), Iris, Imogen. Someone suggested Isadora which is also beautiful.

Belle will date her, Ottilie with be a nightmare for people to pronounce (should be Ott-EEL-ear really but people will probably say Ottily) and Viola just doesn't work as a name IMO.

Or call her Isabel (lovely) and shorten it to Belle.

Majeika Thu 16-Oct-08 21:48:17

Elspeth is lovely but maybe a bit to 'th' with Tabitha??

Tabitha and Imogen - lovely

Imogen Belle Broadhurst?

Violetta Belle Britton

What about Nell?

I love Nell.

Tabitha and Nell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now