Casper ???

(34 Posts)
Pebbles0934 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:23:25

Late night pondering.... Casper or Caspar? Which spelling? Is it the worse the name ever? Is it "posh"? Is it popular? Do you know any?

I like Cassius and Cassian but feel they are too out there for me and complicated pronunciations!

I like Cass. But not a name!! Any advice?

LineyReborn Thu 27-Oct-16 00:25:42

Castor is a good old fashioned name. (Castor and Pollux, from mythological legend.)

BeastofCraggyIsland Thu 27-Oct-16 00:33:29

I quite like Casper, I don't think it's particularly popular or posh or 'out there', it's a pretty normal name. Something like Caspian or Crispin would be more posh (or wet, depending on your view). Really don't like Castor, it makes me think 'oil' or a beaver as it's the genus name for beavers and is actually the word for 'beaver' in both French and Spanish!

JosephineMaynard Thu 27-Oct-16 00:35:34

It's not popular, no. Well below the top 100 in the latest baby name statistics for both spellings.

I was considering this for DC3, but DH vetoed it.

Enidblyton1 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:37:29

I only know 3 Caspars (all spelled with an a). Two of them are born in the 80s and one toddler.
Not a particularly common name I think (but check baby names ranking!). I'm not a huge fan of Caspar, but there are far worse names. Though I do love both Cassian and Cassius!

Chinlo Thu 27-Oct-16 00:38:33

I believe that Caspar is the original spelling. It also looks less friendly-ghosty to me, so I prefer it.

I think it's a very cool name.

Pluto30 Thu 27-Oct-16 00:46:45

Love it.

Prefer the spelling Caspar.

I don't like Castor, as the PP suggested, because it reminds me of caster sugar or castor oil. It also doesn't have the "Cass" sound.

Prefer Caspar to Cassius and Cassian.

How about Caspian?

DontBeSoStroppy Thu 27-Oct-16 00:49:08

I love it. I know a 60 - 65 year old Caspar who suits his name brilliantly.

I like Caspar but it really doesn't matter.

Joinourclub Thu 27-Oct-16 00:57:52

Lol at pp 'only' knowing 3 Caspars!

BarInSpace Thu 27-Oct-16 01:02:26

I like it, with the Caspar spelling.

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 27-Oct-16 01:05:17

A lovely name, one I had picked many years ago for one of my DC. Spelled Caspar though.

seagulllady Thu 27-Oct-16 01:08:07

Makes me think of the friendly ghost. Sorry. Showing my age there.

Nice enough name otherwise and if you love it, I'd go for it.

MotherDuckSaid Thu 27-Oct-16 06:48:57

There r 4 Casper's in my children's school, they r all Lithuanian or polish 😊

AmberEars Thu 27-Oct-16 06:53:05

I know one Casper (with an e), he is 3yo.

Mrswinkler Thu 27-Oct-16 07:17:44

Friendly ghost too!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 27-Oct-16 08:44:07

Caspar.

UnicornPee Thu 27-Oct-16 09:42:39

Casper seems to be a popular polish name in my kids schools.
It just makes me think of a cartoon ghost rather than a boys name.

RattieOfCatan Thu 27-Oct-16 09:51:08

I love love love Caspar, it's been vetoed on my list though sad I like Cassius and Cassian too, and adore Caspian, as others have suggested! (That one has also been vetoed for me!)

Caspar has Persian links as well (which is why it was on my list).

CyrilSneer30 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:09:10

Love Caspar - fairly certain this will be DS2's middle name who is due end of December. Caspar is widely accepted as the name of one of the three Magi (we're Catholic and it's likely DS2 will be born around their feast day), therefore we chose it over the Casper spelling smile

MrsCaecilius Thu 27-Oct-16 12:42:01

Love it. Caspar. I know one in his late 30s, occasionally went by 'Caz'. Great name and underused!

minipie Thu 27-Oct-16 12:44:59

I like it and think it should be Caspar (Casper always looks wrong to me/friendly ghost association)

Loafingaround Thu 27-Oct-16 14:04:13

Know no Caspar's and think its a fab name and definitely different. I know none. Definitely more on the posh than chav side.

8DaysAWeek Fri 28-Oct-16 09:25:28

Casper has always been my favourite boys name since I was wee. OH categorically said no due to the friendly ghost reference. I must go back to the drawing board with Caspar if we ever have a second!!

stonygreysoil Fri 28-Oct-16 09:29:30

Casper is a nice name. Unless you are French, the second "a" would be a bit unnecessary.

As someone above said, Castor is a wonderful historic option. Very similar background to Cassius in this day and age.

What about Cashel ? [c.f Daniel Day Lewis]

MadameDePomPom Fri 28-Oct-16 12:18:41

Not Castor. People will look at you blankly and say 'what? like the oil?'

I like Caspar, reminds me of sexy Kaspar from Borgen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now