Romany? Nn Romy

(48 Posts)
Bigfam Wed 14-Sep-16 10:59:14

Pretty much set on this name for our daughter due in December, but having seen someone else mention it somewhere, people have commented they would avoid it because of the connection to travellers.
Do you make the same connection?
My oh is a settled traveller, would you think it strange for a traveller child to be named Romany? (I won't take offence, genuinely want to know what you think)

Amandahugandkisses Wed 14-Sep-16 11:01:32

Yes I would make the connection. But it's a pretty name and has your heritage so go for it.

digestivemuncher Wed 14-Sep-16 11:02:11

Yes I would make that same connection, tbh I don't think I know any none traveller family with a daughter called Romany but that's just me.
I wouldn't say there's a problem with you naming your daughter Romany if you like it though...

NavyandWhite Wed 14-Sep-16 11:04:29

Romy is pretty in its own.

Theselittlelights Wed 14-Sep-16 11:06:13

I love the name Romany and had it picked out for DD.

Oysterbabe Wed 14-Sep-16 11:37:20

Yep traveller would be my first thought. Romy is nice.

crje Wed 14-Sep-16 11:39:00

My first thought was traveller too

idontlikealdi Wed 14-Sep-16 11:41:49

I would probably go with Romily mm Romy.

i8E314 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:44:04

I prefer Rosemary with Romy for short.

Nothing wrong with being a traveller of course but they have very classic names. Nobody could accuse them of choosing stupid names.

Bigfam Wed 14-Sep-16 11:44:53

I like the name romilly, but much prefer Romany.
We're only using Romany on her birth certificate. She will be known to everyone as Romy, so I guess it's more appropriate to ask if you'd associate the name Romy with travellers?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 14-Sep-16 11:46:10

Yes I too, thought traveller.
However, your husband is a settled traveller, it's a very pretty name, and a lovely tribute to his roots.
I would most definitely call her Romany.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 14-Sep-16 11:49:03

I only know the word Romany in relation to Romany Gyspies. Have never come across it as a given name.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 14-Sep-16 11:50:03

Romy makes me think of Romy Schneider.

Bigfam Wed 14-Sep-16 11:53:09

MitzyLeFrouf it's quite unusual, but not unheard of as a given name.

Thankyou Sugarpiehoneyeye smile

JaneAustinAllegro Wed 14-Sep-16 11:53:25

I love the name, and knew someone called Romany years ago - as a child of course I never made the connection. Romy on its own also lovely.

Big q would be what would DH's family make of it? will they take it in the tribute sense you intend? I've no idea if you could unintentionally insult them???

Bigfam Wed 14-Sep-16 12:08:36

No they wouldn't take it as an insult, I do know that mil doesn't like it though, but not for that reason.
She doesn't like the name we chose for dd3 either.

eurochick Wed 14-Sep-16 12:10:13

I would make the traveller connection.

EllenDegenerate Wed 14-Sep-16 13:01:00

Romy has no connection to travellers IME.

Romany does but if your OH is a settled traveller surely it's positive to honour his heritage?

Bigfam Wed 14-Sep-16 13:08:29

EllenDegenerate have sent you a pm

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Wed 14-Sep-16 13:12:58

I love it, I wouldn't expect it to be a traveller name. If anything the Romany's I have met have been quite posh!

PaperdollCartoon Wed 14-Sep-16 13:13:23

Romy is pretty. Romany I would associate with travellers, but it would also seem to me like calling your child Irish or Jewish or something, it's the name of an ethnic group not a person.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 14-Sep-16 13:14:14

Should add that's not necessarily a problem, it sounds nice as a name, just that's the thought process my brain went through!

MrsCaecilius Wed 14-Sep-16 13:15:52

I'd immediately associate Romany with Romany gypsy. But would have no connotation with Romy.

Given your heritage its a very pretty name!

CancellyMcChequeface Wed 14-Sep-16 14:01:39

I wouldn't associate Romy with travellers, particularly.

I've never come across Romany used as a given name before, so if I heard it my first thought would be of the ethnic group, like Paperdoll

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 14-Sep-16 14:10:03

I would assume a Romany is of Romany heritage but I wouldn't make that assumption with Romy. Romany is a very pretty name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now