Arlo?

(24 Posts)
rubberducker Fri 13-May-16 10:31:00

Thoughts?

Seems to be the one name both DH and I both like (I can't get him to buy into my favourite, Elijah). Doesn't seem to be in the top 100 on the latest list so hopefully not too popular.

Surname is short one syllable, starts and ends with G.

This is DS3 so we're finding names pretty tricky this time!

FamousSeamus Fri 13-May-16 10:34:47

It's popular around here - well, our village is small and I can think of three babies under about a year and a half called Arlo - so I'm surprised it's not higher up the naming stats. I can't get excited about it either way, but it strikes me it's likely to date quickly, if that bothers you...?

plimsolls Fri 13-May-16 10:46:33

I think the naming stats have a bit of a time lag.

I think Arlo is one of those names that is hugely popular in certain pockets and then unheard of elsewhere.

I would say it depends how important being unusual is to you (and maybe also where you live?). Anecdotally, I reckon Arlo is on the verge of top ten in pockets of London.....

Winterbiscuit Fri 13-May-16 10:47:43

I like Arlo.

Otherwise how about Eli or Milo?

Brokenbiscuits86 Fri 13-May-16 10:47:50

I love it! I've never once heard it where I live in Devon.

MrsRonBurgundy Fri 13-May-16 10:48:42

I know 2 Arlo's under 1. A girl from TOWIE has used it which I think has increased immediate popularity with some people.

SpoonfulOfJam Fri 13-May-16 10:51:32

Have you watched the good dinosaur? I frequently bellow Arloooo to my Ds. His name is not Arlo. It's a lovely name tho.

Rollercoaster1920 Fri 13-May-16 10:53:26

And is the main character in Disney's The Good Dinosaur, who is a bit of a wimp so depending on how time treats that movie (I suspect it won't be a Disney Classic), may be bought up in school.

notagiraffe Fri 13-May-16 10:54:47

I know a few. Quite trendy here.

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 10:58:16

Arlo arlo where art thou
It's horrid like a dogs name or a brand of formula milk

NoSpamPam Fri 13-May-16 10:59:28

Not too popular for a good fucking reason

ElspethFlashman Fri 13-May-16 11:01:21

Its becoming very trendy. A bit too trendy for me.

I like it, but it suffers a bit from "Arya Stark syndrome" where everyone pronounces her name Aia. It ends up being pronounced Alo which doesnt sound as nice.

Much prefer Milo.

Pickyricky Fri 13-May-16 11:22:48

I think it is nice but honestly, I wouldn't do it... It is unfortunately a bit of a 'faddy' name and will date very quickly. It is rising quickly in popularity as well.

rubberducker Fri 13-May-16 12:39:53

Hmmm interesting mix of opinions! We live in a small rural village in the Midlands and don't know of any here but interesting that it's on the rise elsewhere. DS1 is Noah, which was unusual when we chose it - not so much now! Would rather not fall into that trap again although it's tricky trying to predict which names are going to suddenly become popular.

I'm not keen on Milo - I do like Eli, and that was one of the things I liked about using Elijah but DH not keen.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 13-May-16 13:15:41

Sounds like Harlow... A not particularly pleasant town in Essex... Not for me.

Sophronia Fri 13-May-16 15:16:45

A footballer and a TOWIE 'celebrity' used it, so I think it will become trendy and faddy.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 13-May-16 15:22:36

Not fond at all.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 13-May-16 15:32:16

Yeah, I live about 20 miles from the aforementioned town in Essex and it's a shithole so weirdly, it's not very popular round here. To me it just always sounds like a cockney saying Harlow.

Jessbow Fri 13-May-16 16:04:31

The only thing you'll ever get with his name on is a milk tanker.

Oh no, that Arla

Still not keen.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Fri 13-May-16 16:09:48

I live in a Market town in Leicestershire and it's hugely popular here. The last two babies born I know of have the name.

I do really like Arlo but it hasn't been in the running for ds4 as I don't like popular names.

Mishaps Fri 13-May-16 16:12:41

I know someone with an Eli and an Arlo - I get them mixed up all the time. It is the latest name round here. Can't say I am wild about it if I am honest.

LucyInTheSkyWithDonuts Fri 13-May-16 16:15:43

I like it, but I live in a small village up north and there are 2 under 6 months old so I think it's becoming very popular

Milzilla Sat 14-May-16 21:30:27

I know of two and both mums try v hard to be middle class. I don't like it one bit, sorry.

What about Vito?

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 18-May-16 10:37:19

I like Arlo.

Don't like Vito at all, sounds like veto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now