Eleanor or Emilia... thoughts?

(17 Posts)
shalalala Thu 14-Apr-16 16:53:15

Help please! Only have 4 weeks to go and am totally stuck on names

Middle name likely to be Elizabeth
X

GertrudeBadger Thu 14-Apr-16 16:57:42

I love both Eleanor and Emilia - Emilia is slightly more unusual which is nice. Not sure I love the combination with Elizabeth but then middle names aren't much used.

adagio Thu 14-Apr-16 17:32:27

Definitely Emilia

mrsschu Thu 14-Apr-16 21:41:15

Both are quite nice but I prefer Emilia.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 14-Apr-16 21:42:12

Emilia. Beautiful name!

Sophronia Thu 14-Apr-16 22:57:09

Eleanor

WanderingNotLost Thu 14-Apr-16 23:16:31

Eleanor, although I prefer the Elinor spelling. If you call her Emilia people with put the invisible R in the middle, like people do when one name ends in a vowel and the next one starts with a vowel. Emiliarelizabeth. IYSWIM

Itinerary Fri 15-Apr-16 01:32:13

Emilia

JSarah Fri 15-Apr-16 02:14:19

Emilia! It's lovely smile

NadiaWadia Fri 15-Apr-16 06:00:23

I think Eleanor is a lovely, classy name, although it has been very popular over the last 25 years or so.

Emilia seems to be flavour of the month, but Isn't it just pronounced the same as Amelia? In which case, I don't really see the point of it, why not stick to Amelia? Or is it 'Em-ILL-ee-ya' rather than 'Em-EEL-ee-ya'?

Schmoochypoos Fri 15-Apr-16 06:25:04

Emilia gets my vote, DS1 has a friend called Emilia and it gets shortened to Mimi which is lovely.

MrsCaecilius Fri 15-Apr-16 10:52:52

Emilia is lovely, but every other little girl I know under the age of 6 is Emilia. Its the Sophie of my childhood (pretty but prevalent).

Eleanor is lovely too, and not as well used at the moment.

ABitAsleep Fri 15-Apr-16 11:08:23

Emilia is much prettier in my opinion, but it is very popular at the moment, and has the oportunity for nicer nicknames (Emmy, Milly, Mila, Etc)

Eleanor is more classic, but is also rising in popularity, still a wide choise of nicknames (Ella, Ellie, Nora)

Sunshine511 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:04:59

I would definitely go for Eleanor. Such a beautiful, elegant name.

Emilia is lovely too, but in my accent would be pronounced identically to Amelia. Amelia is just so so popular just now that I think it takes away from how lovely the name Emilia is. They may also be forever correcting the spelling.

Both lovely names whichever you choose. The things that bother me about Emilia may not be an offput for you.

CruCru Fri 15-Apr-16 17:26:47

Both are nice but I prefer Eleanor. Emilia is rather fashionable - I know two under fives called it.

SabineUndine Fri 15-Apr-16 21:04:02

Emilia. Love Shelley's poem To Emilia V:

Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory—
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.

Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heaped for the belovèd's bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.

SueTrinder Fri 15-Apr-16 21:17:00

Eleanor. Emilia ticks too many of the fashionable boxes at the moment although it's a perfectly nice name. Eleanor will date far less and is a really classy name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now