Diana

(25 Posts)
Vintagejazz Tue 17-Jun-14 12:27:23

I think it's a nice classic name but a few people I know wouldn't dream of using it because of it's strong association with the late Princess. (And this is in Ireland). Just wondering if you think this name is likely to be ever revived in the short to medium term. I really like it.

Alita7 Tue 17-Jun-14 12:31:14

Part of me likes it part of me doesn't :s I think we're moving away from links to lady Diana.

Nereida Tue 17-Jun-14 13:59:07

I like it. I wish it wasn't so associated with the late Princess. I'd like to see it used more often.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Tue 17-Jun-14 14:01:07

By the time your DD grows up, Lady Diana will be a dim and distant memory, and there will be no associations at all.

But even if there were, people aren't going to stop using the names Kate, George, William, Harry etc etc, so not sure why Diana should be any different.

Stokey Tue 17-Jun-14 15:28:15

I like Diana, it's classic and understated. Can't understand why it is not more popular.

squoosh Tue 17-Jun-14 15:52:11

I quite like it and its place in Roman mythology although the associations with the other Diana are still very strong. I'd be petrified someone might think I was an Express reader with a house adorned with these kind of exquisite pieces.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 17-Jun-14 16:07:38

Beautiful name. I love Dinah too.

burgatroyd Tue 17-Jun-14 16:38:36

Personally don't like the shortening.

DrFunkesFamilyBandSolution Tue 17-Jun-14 18:01:17

I love it but Dirty Diana is enough to put me off (went to school with an Eileen who didn't enjoy sharing a name with a famous song)!

squoosh Tue 17-Jun-14 18:02:25

I do know a Diana who got 'Dirty Diana' a LOT when that song was out. But as she says herself, she was quite Dirty at that point in her life! grin

StrawberryCheese Tue 17-Jun-14 18:05:54

I think Diana is a lovely name.

Oh squoosh I see that you've been to my mums house judging from that image grin

moggle Tue 17-Jun-14 20:09:18

I don't think the memories will fade that fast. It's nearly 20 years and still when you say the name it's surely the first thing many of us think of. Although a baby born now won't have peers who remember, older relatives, teachers etc will have the association and I'm sure it'll be commented on. The fact it's a slightly unusual name and there aren't that many other Diana's in the public eye doesn't help (unlike Catherine, William which are ten a penny, or other famous people who have died young or tragically). Plus remember every time William or Harry does something their mother is brought up...

moggle Tue 17-Jun-14 20:09:37

I do think it's a nice name though.

roseinwinter Tue 17-Jun-14 20:09:53

I love Diana. It's beautiful and elegant. But I don't like the shortening which puts me off a lot.

Annunziata Tue 17-Jun-14 20:32:51

I think it's lovely.

Vintagejazz Wed 18-Jun-14 14:24:21

Princess Grace's tragic and untimely death didn't put people off using her name. It's incredibly popular at the moment. I suppose Diana was a more controversial figure.

brunette123 Wed 18-Jun-14 14:27:11

yes very nice. A pretty name and elegant.

UriGeller Wed 18-Jun-14 14:31:48

Don't like it. Despite its origin being the strong hunter goddess of roman mythology, it sounds a bit wet. Maybe the simpering princess di had a lot of influence over my opinion as my own beloved DM is called Diana but I'd never ever consider naming a baby that.

Nereida Wed 18-Jun-14 15:13:06

How about Dinah instead? I think that's lovely.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 18-Jun-14 15:20:22

Maybe not our generation but I could see it coming back in say another 20 years' time.

stripedtortoise Wed 18-Jun-14 15:31:15

Beautiful name and surely due a comeback. Would be a bit different amongst all the billion Isla, Florence, Ava and etc too.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Wed 18-Jun-14 17:00:59

The only problem with Diana is shortenings. I wouldn't want to go through life being called 'Di' otherwise it is a beautiful name with unfortunate associations.

Arsebadger Wed 18-Jun-14 18:51:25

I had a very dear friend named Diana and, had our baby been a girl, her middle name would have been Diana

TheLeftovermonster Thu 19-Jun-14 14:57:37

I like it. Probably prefer it pronounced Dee-AHN-ah rather than Dy-ANN-ah. Could spell it Deana I suppose.

mathanxiety Sat 21-Jun-14 20:05:00

I don't think it's ever going to be revived. It was never all that popular to begin with -- it has extreme UC associations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now