Due in 1 week - heeelp

(26 Posts)
Anaisa Tue 18-Mar-14 11:28:24

I am having an ELCS next week. For some reason I was convinced that we agreed on the name Alice that I love, but as it turns out DH is not sure and would prefer Olivia.

Which one would you go for?

Dovahkiin Tue 18-Mar-14 11:31:38

What do you think about Olivia, OP?

Dovahkiin Tue 18-Mar-14 11:35:15

For what it's worth, Alice Olivia sounds lovely smile

Anaisa Tue 18-Mar-14 11:37:05

I've had Alice in my head for so long that I am struggling with any other names...Olivia is nice, but to me it sounds a bit "grown up" - a great name for a woman, but not for a young girl. I suppose she could always be Livvi to us :-)

I prefer Olive to Olivia but dds MN is Alice so I have preference of that.

Dovahkiin Tue 18-Mar-14 11:41:27

If it's a matter of your preferred name or DH's preferred name, is it worth going back to your shortlist? Not that you don't have other things to do a week before your daughter arrives....

Anaisa Tue 18-Mar-14 11:48:48

Our shortlist was hopeless, we went through hundreds of names and couldn't really agree on any. The difficulty also is that it needs to be a name that is easy to spell as her surname will be foreign and is not easy to pronounce/spell.

Alice Olivia is lovely smile

Dovahkiin Tue 18-Mar-14 11:52:30

Sorry - that was rubbish advice on my part! I personally prefer Alice to Olivia but Baby Liv or Livvy or Ol sounds very sweet too.

Anaisa Tue 18-Mar-14 11:58:29

smile your advice was good, we are rubbish at deciding. We already have two boys and naming them was so much easier. I honestly don't know what our problem is this time.

Might be the case of waiting for her to be born and then choosing.

WowserBowser Tue 18-Mar-14 12:04:18

I think Alice!

Olivia is nice but it kind of blends in with all the Sophias, Amelias etc

Martorana Tue 18-Mar-14 12:06:19

Alice every time.

SS3J Tue 18-Mar-14 13:01:49

Alice definitely gets my vote. Olivia is a bit boring at the moment - too many of them.

SimplySara Tue 18-Mar-14 14:15:24

It sounds like you still love Alice.
You might want to find out what your partners second thoughts on the name are. Be completely honest to each other, not succumbing to niceties just for the sake of being nice - the consequences could be that one of you ends up with a name that you don't really like but were to scared of offending the other to state your case. Of course be willing to listen but if your heart is set on Alice than make the case for it.

However, I would recommend that you do it sooner OR later but not immediately after the birth. You will have so many different feelings/hormones (and possibly even pharmaceutical drugs) going through you at that time that a clear decision on your part could be hard. Ive had friends who felt like their partners took advantage of this space to get the name that they really wanted and I can sympathise (not saying all partners to this but some could even do it unknowingly too)

Hippymama Tue 18-Mar-14 14:26:21

I like both names, but there are lots of Olivias about at the moment. In my family alone we have two, a girl whose middle name is Olivia, two Olivers and an Ollie! I do like the name but would go for Alice if it was me smile

noodlebum Tue 18-Mar-14 14:40:26

I like both names, so maybe see what she looks like on the day, and use the other name as a middle name?

Kantha Tue 18-Mar-14 15:33:23

I prefer Alice: it is such an elegant name. Olivia is very popular and was the no 1 girls' name for a few years, this would be enough to put me off.

Agree that Alice Olivia sounds lovely.

hunreeeal Tue 18-Mar-14 16:10:55

I prefer Olivia.

lanbro Tue 18-Mar-14 16:18:45

Dd1 was named well before birth but really struggled with dd2. In the end she was named the day after birth, with something never even discussed but couldn't imagine her being anything else now!

DiamondsAndRust Tue 18-Mar-14 17:01:16

I'd choose Alice over Olivia. It's classic and pretty without being sickly sweet, with lots of positive associations. For me it occupies the same status as Elizabeth/Catherine etc - timeless.

Olivia's nice too, but very overused right now, and since it hasn't been used as consistently over a long period as Alice I think it will date more quickly.

MrsLoada Tue 18-Mar-14 17:17:59

Just wait and see what she looks like, we had 3 names Hannah , Jessica , and Jemma . Was unsure between them before but when she was born , Jemma just seamed right .

ToffeeJungle Tue 18-Mar-14 17:46:47

I prefer Olivia.

Anaisa Tue 18-Mar-14 17:48:45

thanks Thank you everyone! I think DH might be ok with Alice Olivia as a compromise as ultimately he is happy for me to make the final decision. We'll look through the shortlist again just in case we missed something, but if nothing changes I think we are going to go with Alice.

007licencetospill Tue 18-Mar-14 21:28:34

Alice is stunning. Olivia is too popular

Mireio Wed 19-Mar-14 00:04:06

Definitely Alice. Olivia is so popular right now.

HippoCritic Wed 19-Mar-14 04:05:06

I prefer Alice, as it's my name wink It's good for a baby, a kid, a teen and an adult, and there's good nickname potential- Al, Allie, Lissa, Lissie, Lisa. I also loved the whole Alice in Wonderland thing growing up.

Alice Olivia flows well, it sounds very pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now