Strong Russian names?

(62 Posts)

I'm Russian born and bred. Don't live there now, and have a DD named Sofia.

I like Artem for a boy...I like strong sounding names for girls (although I admit Sofia doesn't match that but that was more down to ex) but maybe a long elegant name (like Anastasia) which can be shortened?

Any ideas, as I'm stuck?

steppemum Sun 09-Feb-14 00:05:26

I thought Artem was pronounced Artyom in English?
Dimitri/Dima
Vitali
Yaraslav
Sasha (Alexander)

Natalia
Natasha
Katerina/Katya
Emilya
Nadeshda/Nadia
Tatiana (I love this name)

Can't remember any more!

JeanSeberg Sun 09-Feb-14 00:07:09

Igor
Sergey
Boris
Ivan

bodandbagpusssittinginatree Sun 09-Feb-14 00:10:33

Xenia

Alexei
Yuri

I like both the names you have suggested [helpful]

The only problem with Anastasia is people will think you've named her after 50 shades of grey! angry

I like Katya and Natalia. (And love Artem for a boy)

anothernumberone Sun 09-Feb-14 00:12:34

Elena I adore that name and valoude and arsene for a boy.

bodandbagpusssittinginatree Sun 09-Feb-14 00:13:03

Diminutive of Anastasia?

Would Anya/ Ania be authentically russian?

steppemum Sun 09-Feb-14 00:24:02

Anya is very Russian

I love the name Svetlana (Sveta for short) as well

I think of russian princesses when I think of Anastasia, not 50 shades of grey, but then I have refused to read it!

nikkihollis Sun 09-Feb-14 01:45:40

Girls:
Anechka
Artemiia
Jevdokija/Eudoxia/Evdokia
Katerina
Dominika
Feodora/pheodora
Stephania
Viktoria

Boys
Stefan/Stepan
Georgy/Georgii
Anton
Ilya
Dominik
Mikhail/Mischa
Nikolai

Natasha has bad connotations unfortunately (it's like calling a kid 'gold digger'- I hate the stereotypes and so on and I love the name, but won't name my child that iyswim).

Svetlana is nice. I quite like the nn Lana I think, sounds more English? I like Natalia. Not sure about Tatiana, I like the nn Tanya for it however. My exMIL was called Victoria, so won't use Viktoria. Anastasia is beautiful, I like Ana and Anya actually for a nickname, that would work. I like Katerina and Katya, as Kat is a very strong sounding name imo, and also Elena, but my neighbour is called Elena, which puts me off hmm

Fr boys- Nikolai- like it. Mikhail isn't really my taste unfortunately. Sasha- well, I like the name Alexandr and it would be a reasonable shortening, and his friends would be able to give him Alex/Xandr as an English nickname too, definitely top of my list right now. I don't really want to Anglicise it with Alexander/adding an e, confused I know an Egor (not an Igor) and I don't really like the name, but thank for the suggestion.

Thanks to everyone thanks So far, my favourites are Anastasia, Svetlana, Katerina(Katya) and Elena for girls, and Nikolai and Alexandr for boys.

AdoraBell Sun 09-Feb-14 03:29:01

Why the bad connotations with Natasha? I thought it was a kind of unofficial version of Nataliaconfused.

I've only met one Russian person though, so not exactly an authority on the subjectblush, sorry.

TheBookThief Sun 09-Feb-14 07:27:31

I don't know any Russian names but I knew a woman once called Polina which I thought was very pretty.

mathanxiety Sun 09-Feb-14 07:37:23

Natasha is a term used for sex slaves. It's a sort of generic/fantasy name for young women from Eastern Europe/Russia in the minds of people who have an interest in forgetting their humanity.

I like:
Irina
Zinaida
Zoya
Nadezhda

Anton
Lev
Marat
Stanislav
Yuri

TamerB Sun 09-Feb-14 07:42:09

Google 'Russian names for girls' or ' Russian names for boys' and you get alphabetical lists.

winkywinkola Sun 09-Feb-14 07:44:11

Anya

baskingseals Sun 09-Feb-14 07:45:08

I love Tatiana and Zinaida. I also like Oksana. Beautiful names.

tomverlaine Sun 09-Feb-14 07:53:29

Larissa (Lara)
Daria
Inna

Britishseamonkey Sun 09-Feb-14 08:35:44

What's Masha short for? I always liked Masha
I like Zoya too- which I understand to be the Russian equivalent of Zoe? Meaning life??

crashbangboom Sun 09-Feb-14 08:39:09

Tatiana - Tania as nn?

Natalia

Love Katerina

Whichonetochoose Sun 09-Feb-14 08:56:28

How about Elizabeth (Elizaveta in Russian)?

tomverlaine Sun 09-Feb-14 10:22:51

Masha is short for Maria - similarly you get Dasha as a shortened form of Daria and nasha for naria

SantanaLopez Sun 09-Feb-14 12:41:32

These names are all fabulous grin

Nastia is another nickname isn't it? Pity about the 'nasty' link because it sounds lovely.

AdoraBell Sun 09-Feb-14 14:01:52

Thanks Math I had no idea.

jkklpu Sun 09-Feb-14 14:08:17

Milena (Mila) and Alexei are my favourites

Umnitsa Sun 09-Feb-14 23:51:40

Elizaveta
Marina
Nina
Olga
Alexandra
Valentina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now