a feminine nickname for Alexandra

(35 Posts)
teaandcoffeeaddict Sat 04-Jan-14 17:25:09

We have a little Alexandra and we (the family) always call her by her full name. But a lot of people call her Alex, which I really dislike. We're French and in France nicknames are less common, so we didn't think about the nickname problem!
Any suggestions for a nice feminine nickname? My older children suggested Lily - would it be too contrived? What about Alix?

sykadelic15 Sun 05-Jan-14 22:10:22

My brother is Alexander, and his nicknames are Alex, Al, Lex (luthor when he's being annoying), Ali (baba and the 40 thieves when i'm feeling silly)... usually Al.

My friends sister is Alexandra. Her nickname is Alex and all manner of other weird childhood specific things to do with her last name, or her hobbies.

RubySparks Sun 05-Jan-14 22:13:04

Lallie - used in our family as a nickname for Alexandra

OnABabyDiet Sun 05-Jan-14 22:19:58

Allie smile

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 05-Jan-14 22:47:33

I know one who has the nn Sashka

teaandcoffeeaddict Mon 06-Jan-14 08:58:15

I like Lalie , and Alix is starting to grow on me! Any other ideas are welcome... I like Nellie as well as the middle name is Helene

procrastinatingagain Mon 06-Jan-14 09:20:26

Alex and alix sound the same, surely?
If you don't like nicknames, tell people to call her by her full name. I don't necessarily think having an approved nickname will be any easier, you'll still have to insist on it, so you might as well insist on her full name!

teaandcoffeeaddict Mon 06-Jan-14 20:31:03

procrastinating: you surely have a point!

sykadelic15 Mon 06-Jan-14 21:36:49

Re not liking nicknames.. my husband has a commonly shortened name like your daughter (e.g. Timothy / Tim - not actual name). People ALWAYS shorten it and he corrects them (random people if they see his name at work, or hear his name will shorten it... it's very strange). If they keep doing it or refuse to stop he starts calling them bad words! Like "hey F***face" etc. When they ask him what he said that for he replies "you keep calling me something that isn't my name, so I'm doing the same". Helps them get the point a little easier :P I call him the shortened name, as do his close friends and family. Only people he likes are allowed to use the shortened version (which was confusing this morning when I called him at work and they weren't sure who I meant :P)

Personally I don't mind nicknames to a certain extent and sadly you'll have little control over it for much longer.

Also, Alexander is actually my brother's middle name. He has a family specific (and unusual) first name but he was always supposed to be known as Alex. Unfortunately once he started school that decision was taken out of our hands so his friends call him a shortened version of his first name, and his family call him Al/Ali/Alex. Mum was pretty upset about it for a while but we just treat it like his first name is his friends nickname for him and we just call him Al smile

Sussex31 Tue 07-Jan-14 18:16:41

I am an Alexandra and have been known as Sandy since I was little. Alexandra -> Sandra -> Sandy.

teaandcoffeeaddict Tue 14-Jan-14 14:13:52

Could Alice be a nickname for Alexandra in English, or is it too big a push?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now