Names you think will not come back into 'fashion'.

(209 Posts)
BloodiedGhouloshes Mon 28-Oct-13 13:59:17

I am fascinated by the older style names that have recently come back into fashion.... Alfie, Stanley, Maisy etc. All gorgeous names. Not to mention George (almost the name of DC2).

We are thinking (just a little bit) about ttc again and I am day dreaming about names.

A DCousin recently named her little boy Phillip John on the idea that 'he will be the only one in his class'.

What nice names do you know that are unlikely to be around again any time soon?

AnnaConda Mon 28-Oct-13 14:32:24

I quite like Beryl and Stella.

Can't see a revival for Mildred.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 28-Oct-13 14:33:26

Carol
Margaret
Gary
Janet

VerySmallSqueak Mon 28-Oct-13 14:35:40

Fiona
Andrew

TheNunsOfGavarone Mon 28-Oct-13 14:36:08

Gertrude
Mildred
Winifred
Ethel - please tell me Ethel isn't back!

Cuthbert
Ronald - I hope not!
Herbert

TheNunsOfGavarone Mon 28-Oct-13 14:36:26

Mavis

Peetle Mon 28-Oct-13 14:39:29

Queenie - I had two great aunt Queenies, so it's a name only suitable for elderly women in my understanding.

Clargo55 Mon 28-Oct-13 14:39:45

TheNuns I know four little Ethel's under 3years old.

tootssweet Mon 28-Oct-13 14:39:45

Keith
Brian
Trevor

Deirdre
Joan

greenhill Mon 28-Oct-13 14:43:23

Eva, Maud and John are popular here.

Myra

Littlecherublegs Mon 28-Oct-13 15:03:59

Barry, Keith, Kenneth, Derek, Dirk, Norris, Maurice

Deirdre, Geraldine, Gertrude, Meryl, Valerie, Mildred, Glynis

shrieklesoda Mon 28-Oct-13 15:04:12

I can't see Norman making a comeback.

But ten years ago I'd have howled with laughter if you'd told me that my own name would once again be popular for little girls, because I was ridiculed for it throughout my schooldays. But it is now, so you just never know.

Was surprised to see Rachel referred to earlier as a 70s name. I'm a 70s child and I don't know any Rachel's my age, but I know loads who are under 30, and of those most are under the age of ten. Where I live its very much more a current name than a dated one. I've noticed before that there seem to be huge variations around the UK.

Howlsmovingcastle Mon 28-Oct-13 15:08:22

Adolf. Understandable, really.

Also:
Ethelred
Cuthbert
Cadwallader
Yolworth
Augustus

shrieklesoda Mon 28-Oct-13 15:14:19

isn't it strange that people, quite rightly, associate the name Adolph with Hitler and find the thought of using it as a baby name unpleasant, yet the name Joseph continues to be popular and is not associated with Stalin.

Or the name Ian is not automatically associated with a horrific series of murders, whereas the name Myra is?

Wonder why some names stick in our minds in that way?

fidgetywidget Mon 28-Oct-13 15:17:30

Peetle I know of a Queenie who is under 5! grin

Bowlersarm Mon 28-Oct-13 15:19:31

Gloria
Maureen
Doreen
Gladys

FreckledLeopard Mon 28-Oct-13 15:23:31

Sharon
Tracey
Donna
Linda
Anne
Hilda
Gwendoline

Mattissy Mon 28-Oct-13 15:28:26

Tbh, the way fashion circulate I honestly think they'll all come back at some point. The more we say "ooo, so old fashioned" or "yuck, hate that" the more likely the next generations will pick it up and rebel. Every generation likes to make a change and eventually the cool names will once again by Sharon, Tracy, Simon and Nigel etc.

Some of the names listed hear have been around for hundreds or thousands (biblical) of years, they are not going to disappear because Debi from Chicester said she didn't like it in 2013, lol. Sorry if there really is a Debi from Chicester on here! Lol

Godfrey
Colin
Roger
Nigel
Doreen
Maureen
Barbara
Patricia
Raymond
Kathleen
Pamela
Basically, anything circa baby 1940s

mignonnette Mon 28-Oct-13 15:29:44

Dear

I had a darling Grandfather named Roy too. flowers for both of them.

I love the name Rachel. There are plenty of little Rachel's around my way. I have a family member named Rachel who is 44.

Ethel is the name of Lilly Allen's daughter.

EldritchCleavage Mon 28-Oct-13 15:31:05

Adolf was always unusual here (and even in Germanic countries was very regional in use, I think) so the association with Hitler was very strong. But Josef is such a commonplace name, it doesn't bring Stalin to mind when you hear it I suppose.

Like Dennis Neilsen or Jeffrey Dahmer-the name was too common for their crimes to create an association, but Myra was not, so when we hear it we do think of Hindley.

Howlsmovingcastle Mon 28-Oct-13 15:31:41

I think that Joseph is so firmly rooted in the religious firmament that the more recent unpleasant links can be overlooked, whereas most people only know the nmae Adolf/Adolph for one reason. It is interesting though.

Also Ian/Myra: there are lots of Ians and relatively few Myras, so it sticks in the head.

Howlsmovingcastle Mon 28-Oct-13 15:32:22

x-post with eldritch!

sonlypuppyfat Mon 28-Oct-13 15:33:00

Its a generation thing though isn't it. If someone told me Archie alfie and Sidney were in fashion I wouldn't have believed it. Mind you I still can't believe it now.

ithaka Mon 28-Oct-13 15:35:35

Karen
Nicola
Griselda
Grizel
Lettuce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now