Samuel...is it too "safe"?

(38 Posts)
Wannabuyawatch Mon 23-Sep-13 17:27:04

I love the name Samuel but is it a bit of a safe option? His surname is Spinola so I thought the name Samuel Spinola was quite a cool combo...thoughts?

jobwoes Mon 23-Sep-13 17:52:28

It is safe, but it's a nice name.

MrsGSR Mon 23-Sep-13 18:00:06

I love the name 'Samuel', that was our boys name for this one before finding out she's a girl. It is a tiny bit plain, but I think that's good with an unusual surname (ours is long and double barrelled and I have to spell it out all the time!)

viola28 Mon 23-Sep-13 18:00:48

I find it very cute and perfectly matched, i don't even understand what you mean by 'safe'...

weaselinthenight Mon 23-Sep-13 21:02:41

Wow the surname is fabulous! I prefer Samson to Samuel but it doesn't go nearly so well with Spinola :-)

tanfastic Mon 23-Sep-13 21:06:36

I have a Samuel so probably slightly biased. He is five and the only Samuel in his year at school.

The only thing that grates on me is if people call him Sammy. I get the rage! confused

elcranko Mon 23-Sep-13 21:09:14

I love Samuel, it's not safe at all! smile

peachypips Mon 23-Sep-13 21:10:45

I love it. However, there are FOUR in DS1's class. But if you don't know any this doesn't matter!

peachypips Mon 23-Sep-13 21:11:17

They are called Sam S, Sam St, Sam P and Sam H!

i have a samuel (sam) had similar worries but now just love it. loathe it when the annoying inlaws call him sammy though.

Tikkamasala Tue 24-Sep-13 00:48:13

I really like it

I love it! And my little Samuel was born on Saturday with his identical twin brother Joshua!

TooTryHard Tue 24-Sep-13 08:17:44

I love the name but it really is by far and away the most popular name I've come across in classes and DC's peer various groups. If you don't mind that then go for it.

rachel234 Tue 24-Sep-13 08:35:38

In ds's class of 13 there are 2 Sams and we know loads outside school.

So yes, perfectly nice name but perhaps a little too common.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 24-Sep-13 08:42:16

Sam Spinola sounds quite dangerous actually, but in a good way! grin

WaspInTheHouse Tue 24-Sep-13 10:02:45

I have one, there's absolutely loads of them about, but don't care because it's lovely. Also, with that surname, it does sound fab.

My other child has a very very very unusual name. But if you love a name you love it whether it's incredibly popular or not.

BettyBi0 Wed 25-Sep-13 09:19:21

Love Sam Spinola! Really memorable and I wouldn't worry too much about having a "safe" first name with such a gorgeous unusual surname.

MrsDibble Wed 25-Sep-13 10:52:29

Why safe? I think it's nice. Hadn't thought it was that popular but may vary depending on where you live.

My husband doesn't like Sam (because of Sams he has known) but I think it is a solid, trustworthy sort of name.

duchessandscruffy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:14:53

I really like Samuel but it is just so common - as a teacher i have taught millions of then! it is very safe (but lovely if that doesn't bother you!)

duchessandscruffy Wed 25-Sep-13 22:19:30

Btw Sam spinola is a great name! But I think you have potential for loads of great names with that surname. One of my friends has the surname Lopez and I think whatever first name she had it would just sound cool!

Wannabuyawatch Thu 26-Sep-13 11:32:36

Thank you for all the replies! I am pretty convinced but maybe another cool S name instead??

MrsBungle Thu 26-Sep-13 11:37:10

I think it is very safe but it is a nice name .

tammytoby Thu 26-Sep-13 13:03:26

Sam is fine but yes, it is very widely used and he may well need a modifier to differentiate him from other Sams. Two Sams in our Cub group even share the same surname initial - can get a little confusing at times.

Retroformica Thu 26-Sep-13 22:33:16

I love that name and Sam . If he has a brother call him Joseph - perfect match

clary Fri 27-Sep-13 01:24:58

Your surname is great!

I think with an unusual surname it's not a bad idea to choose a fairly familiar name that is easy to spell. Abernathy Spinola (for example) is probably too much to swallow.

Sam is very popular tho - I teach secondary and there is one or two in most of my classes. It's right up there with Josh and Joe. Popular names because they are nice tho smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now