Oh help, I think we're being the fussiest people in the world about girls' names

(75 Posts)
WhatDyouCallEr Mon 26-Aug-13 20:12:04

We're expecting a DD in October and seem to have so many requirements that there are no names left that we can agree on.

I'm English (with some Irish ancestry), DH is German, and we live in Germany. DD will have my (English) surname and I don't want to burden her with two difficult names, so we're looking for a first name that will at least be easily recognisable to German speakers, even if it isn't German.

And then there's the issue of the surname itself (starts with an H and rhymes with Keith) which, especially when it's pronounced with a German accent, makes several sounds (ie, th, s, t, f) problematic in a first name.

We already have a DS called Johannes so none of the -anna names are really an option.

So far Klara and Esther seem to be top of our joint list, but neither of us can quite settle on either... We've also considered Katharina, Natalia, Aila and Rebecca. And I like Maren (MAHren), Ellen/Elena/Nella, Laura and Alma too, but he's not so keen.

Does some inspired person out there have the answer?! (I realise this OP totally outs me, so RL people could you please just pretend you haven't seen it? Thank you!)

TravailsInHyperreality Mon 26-Aug-13 21:18:10

Elsa

ceeveebee Mon 26-Aug-13 21:26:26

Eliza?

MummyBeerest Tue 27-Aug-13 01:43:02

Ada (pron. Eh-da) is a Germanic favourite of mine.

WafflyVersatile Tue 27-Aug-13 01:52:40

Maris pronounced maris

Sabine.

Arianne

WhatDyouCallEr Tue 27-Aug-13 13:15:43

Thanks again for all the replies. I think I'm just going to have to accept that the German pronunciation of lots of lovely English names won't work, especially with my surname. It often comes out sounding like "Hiess" and that makes anything with a stressed "ie" and/or "s" sound really bad, doesn't it? Louisa Hiess, Maria Hiess, Elieza Hiess sad

From the names people have suggested I especially like Natascha, Martha (does it matter that the German version sounds like "martyr"?!) and, unexpectedly, Nora. Actually I also love Bridget, bridgetsmum, but I can't think of a more Germanic version that really works. Lots of other good suggestions too that sadly don't work so well in German... Maybe we should just go for DS's choice of Charlie, after his recently deceased gerbil?!

Curious to see what DH has to say about the thread when I show him later...

WhatDyouCallEr Tue 27-Aug-13 13:18:23

Oh, and phineyj, DH pronounces Zoe something like "TSOHeh", which my mouth just doesn't seem able to do.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Tue 27-Aug-13 13:20:57

Seriously, is Charlotte (Charlie) an option?

littlemog Tue 27-Aug-13 13:25:48

Love Rebecca. It's a beautiful name.

littlemog Tue 27-Aug-13 13:27:10

So is Charlotte - and the dead gerbil connotations are kind of sweet!

littlemog Tue 27-Aug-13 13:27:33

I did say kind of....smile

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:30:16

Pauline
Mia
Laura
Leonie (? not sure about English pronunciation)
Manon
Miriam
Leah
Tabea
Christine
Nicola
Verena
Leni/Lena/Lene

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:31:30

Bridget = Brigitte or Birgit (Birgits are around 50 + years old now in Germany)

woozlebear Tue 27-Aug-13 13:35:36

Louisa Hiess, Maria Hiess, Elieza Hiess

I think those combos sound nice - internal rhymes which I think just sound complimentary rather than twee rhymy rhymes.

<My surname is two syllable and ends -erry, and I like names like Harry and Holly - now THAT just sounds silly!>

I second the Charlotte suggestion.

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:35:59

Some more:
Nina/Ninette
Janina/Jeannine
Cornelia
Annabell
Annika
Anja/Anka (could be short for Ann-Katrin)
Anne
Louise
Lara
Clara

Jiina Tue 27-Aug-13 13:37:50

Elisabetta? Brigitta? Sabrina?

I went to school, with a couple of German girls, one called Veronique, one called Julia (we all pronounced it the English way: Jool-ee-uh, her parents and everyone in Germany pronounced it Youl-ee-uh. She was happy with either.)

GraduallyGoingInsane Tue 27-Aug-13 13:41:42

I love Claudia and Clara (DD4 was so very nearly Claudia) and the German pronounciations of both are nice. I like Natasha too.

I have a lot of German friends called Sarah, could that be an option?

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:44:28

Johannes and Rebecca go well together, I think.
From northern Germany, without an "a" in it:
Imke
Birte
Gesche (Gesine)
Marthe
Bente
Inge
Ine (pronounced Ee-na)

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 27-Aug-13 13:45:32

Elsa
Minna
Frieda
Adelheid/Adelaide (Heidi for short?)
Ottilda

These are some of my family names, if that helps? smile

Itsallabout Tue 27-Aug-13 13:46:27

Pia
Clarissa
Vanessa
Ines
Marian
Penelope (Penny)
Beatrice
Rosemary
Eva

EldritchCleavage Tue 27-Aug-13 13:46:34

Corinne
Cora
Eva
Nicole
Marin
Marit
Beatriz
Isla
Edith
Rachel
Helen
Dinah
Rosalie

Mindmaps Tue 27-Aug-13 13:47:32

Caroline - Charlie as a nick name

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 27-Aug-13 13:48:15

I love the name Sabine, and would have liked it for one of the DDs.

Longdistance Tue 27-Aug-13 13:49:27

I'm with Clara wink

Small town in Ireland, popular in Germany.

Win, win I say!!

BigBongTheory Tue 27-Aug-13 14:09:10

What about Lotte as a nn for Charlotte. I lived Lisa und Lotte as a child.

BigBongTheory Tue 27-Aug-13 14:29:57

Francesca

I've also known a German baby called Chiara so I assume they know how to pronounce it. Would the Irish Ciara be doable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now