Flora.....do you just think of a tub of margarine?

(38 Posts)
Neverdonethisbefore Mon 22-Jul-13 17:18:48

I like this name but not sure what people will think. Help!

meditrina Mon 12-Aug-13 16:09:48

No one with any manners would mention the margarine if they met a RL Flora. But that doesn't mean they won't be thinking it.

The problem isn't just the well known brand, it's that the brand had the slogan "Spreads Easily" - which is still widely known despite not having been in active use for a few years.

Weegiemum Mon 12-Aug-13 16:05:44

I'm in Scotland, and my French teacher (retired since I left school) was Flora.

It's quite a timeless name I thing.

badguider Mon 12-Aug-13 16:03:51

flora mcdonald, over the sea to skye, bonny prince charlie etc. etc.

but we are in scotland...

are you?

Leonas Mon 12-Aug-13 15:59:36

I like it but my DP instantly thought of the spread and dismissed it. I really don't think many people would actually make that association in all honesty though

ShadowMeltingInTheSun Thu 25-Jul-13 07:28:50

Sorry. Margerine springs immediately to mind.

niffernaffer Mon 22-Jul-13 20:10:31

My DNeice is Flora, generally known as Flo. I think it suits her, she is 4. Her sister is Minnie.

Mind you, I also know of a local 2 year old Flora who genuinely does have a best mate called Clover. Awkward.

QuiteContent Mon 22-Jul-13 20:08:39

Glad it wasn't just me that dared mention the flora nickname!

RonaldMcDonald Mon 22-Jul-13 19:54:34

God...sorry but...I had a classmate who rather sweetly was named Flora

She was constantly cat called that she 'spreads easily'

Grim

ZZZenagain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:53:34

oh that is not good

WeAreEternal Mon 22-Jul-13 19:52:11

I don't think of the margarine.

I do however thing of a girl at university who was nicknamed flora, mostly behind her back, and it wasn't for good reasons. it was due to the fact that she 'spread' easily

louisianablue2000 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:47:19

No (and I lovethe name). But we have a cat called Echo and didn't think about the margarine connection there either. I eat butter.

ZZZenagain Mon 22-Jul-13 19:45:12

don't use margarine and I wouldn't have thought of it. I thought of Flora MacDonald and the Bonnie Prince Charlie Story. Nothing else springs to mind.

JellyWellyWoo Mon 22-Jul-13 19:42:39

I love this name, although sadly I do briefly think of margarine. I think It's a very pretty name regardless and as long as you love it that's really all that matters! smile

BackforGood Mon 22-Jul-13 19:37:53

Yes, I do, I'm afraid. Sorry.

LittlePandaBear Mon 22-Jul-13 19:32:40

Makes me think of flowers, so nice!

As long as her middle name isn't 'Buttery' or 'Light' grin

QuiteContent Mon 22-Jul-13 18:41:33

Might be a local thing Neverdonethisbefore, but it's lasted through the years and still is heard to day. Friend of mine has a daughter called Florrie which is, to me at least, a very cute name.

Neverdonethisbefore Mon 22-Jul-13 18:28:28

Hmmmm, I'd not heard of that nickname. I'm struggling to convince DH that it's nice and also Stella too. Might have to shelve them for when we get a dog!

QuiteContent Mon 22-Jul-13 18:14:09

I love the name Flora, but it was a cruel nickname bestowed upon girls who were known for their 'friendliness' and that kind of ruined it as a name for me.
I will always love the prettiness of the name but round our way the promiscuous girls will always be known as Flora = Spreads easily.

NobodyPutsTomArcherInTheCorner Mon 22-Jul-13 18:10:30

It's such a pretty name but sorry yes, that blimmin marg is what I think of before I mentally edit it out in annoyance with myself.

Stella similary tainted imho.

I do wish they would take nice names and use them for food/drinks etc.

Witt Mon 22-Jul-13 18:08:02

I think it's a really nice name. I knew a Flora at school and she was lovely. Had it on my list but DH vetoed.

shineypeacock Mon 22-Jul-13 18:06:25

Love it!!! Going to be this bumps name if its a pink one!

PoppyWearer Mon 22-Jul-13 18:05:16

No, Flora is a lovely name.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 22-Jul-13 18:03:17

Yes.

Yika Mon 22-Jul-13 17:35:55

Flora is a beautiful name, I'd never think of marg. Anyway, Marge being a girl's name too you could always adopt it as a nn.

SirChenjin Mon 22-Jul-13 17:30:44

I love love love this name, but it was vetoed by DH angry. I think of Flora MacDonald before the margarine, but maybe that's because I'm Scottish. Either way, use it please - it's a gorgeous name smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now