Too matchy?

(25 Posts)
Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 13:49:08

I love the name Elodie but it has just occurred to me that as my son is called Elliot, it might be weird to have two names starting with "El"? Is that going to be odd, or will I just mix them up all the time??

Other names currently on my list are Tabitha, Emily (love Milly as the nn), Matilda and Astrid, with Anne planned as the middle name.

What do you think, or any similar suggestions?

(Just noticed my mumsnet name starts with "El"! Haven't connected these things before!)

VBisme Sun 30-Jun-13 13:52:30

I think it is too similar, Tabitha is lovely, as is Emily and Matilda, have you thought about Mathilde?

NoSnowJustSand Sun 30-Jun-13 13:54:01

Love Emily, so pretty.

Too, too odd. Sorry.

I'd avoid Emily for similar reasons.

Melissa?
Miranda?
Marianne (but wouldn't work with Anne)?
Emmeline or Esther if you must do an 'E' - Hester is lovely.
Hermione

Too similar. But you have great taste in names. (IMO).

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 14:36:08

Yes, I think you're right, dammit!

I don't have to do an E, it just accidentally worked out that way. I love a lot of the names Remus suggests, but they are quite close to other family members names. I think Marianne is beautiful, but yes not with Anne. Mathilde is also lovely but I can see myself correcting people endlessly.

I think Tabitha is the front runner in that case, but I do love Milly as a nn. Are there any other names that could have that as a nn, apart from Amelia and Millicent?

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 14:37:15

Aw cheers, Totally!

Yes Elodie is too matchy.

How about the actual name of Milly instead of Emily.

I LOVE Astrid

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 14:45:05

I have a thing about names that are nicknames of another name. Even if I called them the nn all the time, I would still have to name them the full version.

TheRealFellatio Sun 30-Jun-13 14:45:28

Elliot goes very well with either Astrid, Mathilda or Tabitha and they are all lovely names, and not over-used.

Elodie is very 'flavour of the month' so may well become quite common, and Emily is a bit run of the mill, and both of them are far too similar to put with Elliot.

Onetwo34 Sun 30-Jun-13 14:45:34

I know an Elliot and Eleanor. I think they are too matchy and I always wonder why their parents didn't choose something else every time I see them!

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 14:47:48

Cheers all, I needed a reality check about this!

trinitybleu Sun 30-Jun-13 15:51:19

Our Tabitha was supposed to be nn Abi, but it didn't stick for us. Would that suit you?

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 16:18:32

Ah, didn't think of Abi as a nn for Tabitha, I like that.

TenToWine Sun 30-Jun-13 16:23:29

I sort of know a family with 4 children who have names beginning with El, an Elliot and 3 girls ( one of whom I think is elodie). Not sure how they stop all the girls being called Ellie by their friends!

smogwod Sun 30-Jun-13 16:31:13

There's always Mildred (maybe not!), Camille/Camilla or Romilly as possible fully names for Milly

GW297 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:40:58

I was going to say Camilla k/a Milly too. Elliot and Tabitha go we'll together.

Zynia41 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:43:56

I would avoid that.

chesterberry Sun 30-Jun-13 18:05:50

Sure there are quite a fewnames that could have Milly as a nickname, even if they are not the 'obvious' nickname. Something like Amelie, Camille/Camilla, Melanie, Melissa, Mildred, Carmel, Emelline.

Eastpoint Sun 30-Jun-13 18:10:53

Camilla is good for Milly & works in pretty well every Western language (something I think about in case my DCs want to work abroad). I also know Amelias who are shortened to Milly

Elemental Sun 30-Jun-13 19:21:56

Thanks all, didn't think about Camilla. I like it. Definitely swaying to Tabitha now I think, although I've mentioned to a few people in rl and got not great reactions. I do love it though.

trinitybleu Sun 30-Jun-13 19:36:35

smile ignore them! My mum hated it before DD was born but loves it now. It's a family name from OH's side.

SandraClegane Sun 30-Jun-13 22:29:20

I know a little Elliott with big sisters Quinne and Miranda.
Agree that Elodie is too matchy, albeit a lovely name!

jamtoast12 Sun 30-Jun-13 23:24:34

Agree too similar plus not a fan...Admittedly id never heard the name before until 2 months ago and suddenly I've heard of 3 kids born with that name so agree its the flavour of the month. Love Tabitha!

bugsybill Mon 01-Jul-13 12:13:00

Too close!

Tabitha is very nice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now