Antigone or Tigris

(106 Posts)
DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 21:36:22

I know it will be a minority that could consider either better than the other but anyone have an opinion to a preference? nn Tiggy.

Don't like Tigris at all. Antigone is better, and prettier, but the ponce level is pretty high imho.

Dave? smile

blurredlines Fri 28-Jun-13 21:42:13

They both sound like tropical diseases. Sorry Dave.

Clearlymisunderstood Fri 28-Jun-13 21:43:21

Antigone is a beautiful name, not so fussed on how it looks written down though.

UnrequitedSkink Fri 28-Jun-13 21:43:29

Antigone does sound like something you'd rather not catch...

UnrequitedSkink Fri 28-Jun-13 21:43:51

Tiggy's cute though.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 28-Jun-13 21:47:27

Antigone is a tragedy (doomed) name, and Tigris is a river. May be Tigris is saner and less damaging confused

crashdoll Fri 28-Jun-13 21:48:49

If I had to choose out of both awful names, I'd reluctantly say Tigris.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 21:51:21

Antigone.

Tigris just isn't pleasant visually or aurally.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 21:52:38

I knew an Antigone at school. She went by Tiggy. Blonde beautiful model type.

Even though I know the origins of the name that girl is what I think of when I see/hear the name.

Jojay Fri 28-Jun-13 21:53:32

Antigone

scaevola Fri 28-Jun-13 21:54:35

Antigone.

Would Tigris have a sibling Euphrates?

babybarrister Fri 28-Jun-13 21:55:03

Are you hoping to make it into Pseuds corner in Private Eye?grin

ghosteditor Fri 28-Jun-13 21:55:36

Antigone. I hadn't heard of Tigris as a person name smile

DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 21:57:40

See the tragedy doesn't bother me. Nor does the incestuous link-before its mentioned. Most Greek origin names are similar. It is the character of the tragedy that I love. Antigone rebelled against state power to stand up for what she believed in, and for family loyalty. And she was a strong feminist. I only see strength in her character and am surprised when I've read on similar topics people say they like the name but the character puts them off.

I love the nickname Tiggy, love the character, but I do think Antigone in full is ugly/harsh sounding. It's the spelling I dislike, but I wouldn't change it. It is reassuring that people that dont hate it think its pretty. DP loves it though, and I think I could totally be on board with it for the first two reasons.

DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 22:02:13

babybarrister I don't understand the dig I'm afraid?! blush

thecatfromjapan Fri 28-Jun-13 22:02:51

I don't think it sounds harsh - sounds unfussy, and brisk, but with a nice, relaxing "eeee" at the end.

Love Antigone. Tigris not bad but completely shone down by Antigone.

I rarely get name-jealousy but I'm slightly coveting Antigone now - for my 10 year old. Hmmm. That ship has sailed ....

Bunbaker Fri 28-Jun-13 22:04:14

Would most people know how to pronounce Antigone? It sounds like the name of a drug or insect repellent.

I don't care for names with a hard sounding G (I'm entitled to say that because my name has a hard G as well and I have always disliked my name)

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 22:07:21

I guess if people know how to pronounce Persephone abd Hermione the pronounciation of Antigone wouldn't be too hard to work out.

I have a thing about "on-ee" name endings. Love them.

hatebeak Fri 28-Jun-13 22:08:02

If you really want the Tiggy nickname more than anything, I used to know a Theresa who went by Tig/Tiggy. If I had to choose one, though, I'd have to say Antigone.

Suzieismyname Fri 28-Jun-13 22:09:34

Antigone.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Fri 28-Jun-13 22:09:49

Love Antigone, beautiful name.
Tigris sounds like a Thundercats character.

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 22:12:55

What crashdoll said. Both awful though.

insanityscratching Fri 28-Jun-13 22:17:06

I don't like either sorry. I know a Tiggy her real name is Teagan (I don't like that either tbh)

Ariadne?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now