Thoughts on giving ds a foreign name and living in UK

(36 Posts)
PinkApple86 Tue 07-May-13 11:46:42

Hi ladies,
Just want to get some feedback (honest). I'm British but dh is Portuguese. Just found out were having a son. Dh is over the moon and wants him to have a Portuguese name. I think there are some lovely names and fit well with our Portuguese last name. I think we need a name that is used in both languages (spelling aside) so both families can say it etc. However I just suggested a few to my colleagues (male) and they laughed and said they are gay boy names and he will be bullied at school in the midlands. Female friends have said they're nice names but I think they just dont want to hurt my feelings or having images of some cristiano ronaldo type man! We have considered:
Hugo, Tiago, Marco, Marcos, Leo (short for Leonardo), Mateus, Miguel, Jorge.
Opinions greatly appreciated.
Thank you brew

barnet Tue 07-May-13 20:52:38

Tiago is a lovely name (i have one).

Secondme Wed 08-May-13 17:00:26

Mateus and Leo are really nice.

MMollyMum2 Wed 08-May-13 17:01:56

Top of the list for dt I'm pregnant with is Leo. Really like the name and it seems foreign (Leonardo) but when you shorten it it just seems like a multicultural name.

squoosh Wed 08-May-13 17:03:00

I like Marco best, it makes me think of someone really handsome and manly. <swoon>

Marcos is lovely too though.

p.s. your colleagues sound like wankers.

KittenofDoom Wed 08-May-13 19:46:13

I like Mateus and certainly wouldn't discard it because of a wine label. Lots of names feature as part of brand names. Jack Daniels is also seen on a bottle, but I don't see people avoiding either Jack or Daniel for that reason.

raisah Thu 09-May-13 01:50:04

Your list is fine. I work with a few Portuguese & they are called:
Leon
Carlos
Alfredo
Leandro
I am sure they wont mind me donating their names!

mathanxiety Thu 09-May-13 05:18:13

Nice names all. I wouldn't use Jorge as it would be mispronounced George.

Are your colleagues part of a Neanderthal exhibit at a museum?

forgetmenots Thu 09-May-13 07:25:06

God this boils my piss.

Ignore these idiots. Your son will have a proud heritage and if you want that reflected in his name, do it. I go off on one about this all the time here when people say don't use Scottish or Irish names as they're hard for non-Celts to spell/say/compute - at the end of the day we can't all be called Jack and Mary (both lovely names btw) and we have different cultures and influences, we all know people with names that we think are unusual.

Go for it (and I'm sure your boy will love his name!)

PinkApple86 Thu 09-May-13 12:30:07

Thanks everyone. Yeah I will be glad to go on maternity and see the back of them lol. grin

Weegiemum Thu 09-May-13 12:36:58

My FIL is German. Very Germanic surname (which sounds a bit rude in English, but there you go ...).

DH has a German first name as well.
BIL has an English/Irish first name.

Dh is quite happy with his name, bil hated his growing up as he said he sounded like he was neither one thing or the other.

But between our family and bils family there are 3 boys and 2 girls. All the boys have very Irish first names, and the girls have very classically English names. They all seem to cope ok (and sil and I together sound like best friends from the 70's - think Claire and Sarah type! - and we cope with our German surname just fine.

lljkk Thu 09-May-13 14:18:31

They are all fine, honestly. I live in a 98% monocultural English area and those names wouldn't even stand out. I can think of locally: Iago, Jozef, Saraya...

You'd have more trouble with Welsh names, I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now