Opinions please - Baby Boy - Quinlan/ Quinn (not that uncommon surely?)

(51 Posts)
MouseyMoo Wed 01-May-13 09:58:19

I love the name as it was my great grandfathers name and he was the most wonderful, kind, honest and generous man. I've always wanted to carry the name on and expecting a baby boy in a few months.
DH loves it but thinks it is really 'out there', though I don't know anyone called Quinlan (nn Quinn) I don't think it is that uncommon for a boy. And I have seen it come up a few times on mumsnet!!
What do you think?

LJBrownie Tue 14-May-13 14:38:08

I have an 8 month old Mighty Quinn. We haven't met any others yet but I'm pleased to hear that there are a few out there! My dad was v concerned about the quim thing but I don't think it's a mainstream term - not as tricky as being called Dick, for example...

forgetmenots Tue 14-May-13 14:35:18

Probably me and I misread it, I thought OP was going with Quinn. Prefer this to quinlan! smile

aquashiv Tue 14-May-13 14:31:16

Really like Quinn and a lovely sentiment too.

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 14:25:32

I can see that but I my comment was more in reference to someone who said they prefer the 'full name'.

bigbluebump Tue 14-May-13 14:22:57

squoosh, we have a Quentin whose friends increasingly shorten to Quin - seems a natural shortening.

TheSecondComing Tue 14-May-13 14:11:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 13:42:33

Quinn is a name of its own, it isn't short for anything. Certainly not Quentin.

poppydaisy Tue 14-May-13 11:54:36

I think Quinn is a great name - strong, cool and Q is a great initial. Personally I prefer the full name Quentin but Quinlan has so much meaning to you and honours your great- grand dad that I would use it for that reason alone.

sleepingbeautiful Mon 13-May-13 17:46:59

I think it's nice. I know a 9yr old girl Quinn and a 10 month old boy Quinn. Neither of them has a longer name, just Quinn.

shoobidoo Mon 13-May-13 15:02:03

US Model Maggie Rizer has just named her second son Quinn (Quinnlann), brother to Zander. Not sure I like the two nn's though.

Quinn is a great name, a lovely alternative to the overused Finn.

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 22:12:47

It's cool! I love a good family-heritage based name too.

I have a 5 year old Quinlan, known as Quin. We've never met another one!

madamecake Sat 11-May-13 11:41:11

I went to school with a Quinn and even then thought it was a lovely name. I've only ever heard it as a boys name (don't watch glee).

forgetmenots Sat 11-May-13 08:29:34

Lovely choice, great 'full name' and best of all a thoughtful reason - I think you've found your boy's name smile

LiloLils Sat 11-May-13 07:51:12

My DS middle name is Quinn...also a family name. I love it. Ignore all the quim comments!!!

shoobidoo Fri 10-May-13 22:20:05

I know a teenage Quinn - great name! I prefer Quentin but Quinlan is nice too.

Elkieb Fri 10-May-13 17:27:42

My nephew is called Quinn and he is lovely and so is his name. My DS has a traditional name which we adore but I admire my sis for being adventurous.

MMollyMum2 Fri 10-May-13 17:25:14

Oldest child is called Quinn (Quinlan not Quentin) and loved the name since my teens.

Never even thought of Quim...

othersideofchannel Wed 01-May-13 19:19:44

We have a Quentin nickname Quinn. Certainly wouldn't consider it 'out there'. Love that you're honouring your great grand dad.

lollypopsicle Wed 01-May-13 18:38:09

My DS is Quinn and I don't have any name regrets! Don't know any others personally though I wouldn't consider it 'out there'.
I'd never heard of quim until threads on here.
There seems to be more male than female quinns out there but I don't have a problem with it being unisex.

The general response to it has always been rather positive.

Sophiesmummie Wed 01-May-13 16:59:56

I know two Quinns - one is about 15, the other 3, both boys.

ds3 sorry!!!! blush

Love the name Quinn/Quinlan. Think it can be either (boys or girls) name. In fact, love it so much, going to be the name of dd3 whom I am pregnant with now!

squoosh Wed 01-May-13 16:12:35

I know tons of Quinns and Quinlans, all of them have it as their surname though. I'd be surprised to meet someone with either of those as their first name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now