Isolde?

(34 Posts)
Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 17:50:32

I discovered this name yesterday, I think it looks beautiful written down. Not 100% sure about the way it sounds, its pronounced izold-uh, but DH keeps saying, 'older than what?!'

I love the Arthurian and Shakepearean and Wagner connection.

Also digging Edith, but we live in Spain and they would pronounce it completely differently.

All thoughts welcome?!

dyslexicdespot Thu 21-Mar-13 17:52:26

I think it is a beautiful name. Unusual, but with very strong literary connections.

cupcake78 Thu 21-Mar-13 17:53:27

Sorry but I think your dh had a point

FriggFRIGG Thu 21-Mar-13 17:54:38

It's beautiful.

Lovely. Much nicer than Edith, though I do like Edie.

You might like Adele/Adela too.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 17:57:07

is it pronounced like this?

If so, then your husband has a point. grin

It's still pretty though.

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 17:59:06

That's fine cupcake, ALL opinions welcome, and he does have a point! I'm just wondering how much of a potential issue that is?

I'm going mad that you can tease any names. If Edie is a bit chubby like her mum I bet she'll get taunts of 'greedy' sad so is older is less of a teasing point than that...

Adele on the singer is nice but I always think of the laptops!! (Weird)

Laptops?

Can't stand singer Adele but it is a v pretty name.

You might like Hester too, or Ishbel.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Thu 21-Mar-13 18:24:25

I like Isolde, first came across it in The Women's Room. All names can have holes picked in them. If you like it, why not?

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 18:31:33

A Dell!

Minty82 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:45:10

I love Isolde. I know a couple (adults) so it's not totally out there - both Irish so maybe it's more common there? Gorgeous name. And your husband's point also applies to Isabel and Iona and doesn't seem to put them out of use.

Minty82 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:45:25

I love Isolde. I know a couple (adults) so it's not totally out there - both Irish so maybe it's more common there? Gorgeous name. And your husband's point also applies to Isabel and Iona and doesn't seem to put them out of use.

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 18:48:45

THAT'S TRUE! And he suggested Isabel! Ha I shall argue that point!

TomArchersSausage Thu 21-Mar-13 18:59:11

Yes I can see what you both mean <no helpgrin> I does look pretty written and yet it does also sound like 'Is Older.'

It's funny how some names can be ok and maybe not ok at one and the same time. I always liked Igraine. It sounds so magical; she was King Arthur's mother.

Then again, it's awfully close to migraine, so that put paid to that one for meconfused

Weissdorn Thu 21-Mar-13 19:04:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

My DD1 goes to school with an Isolde. 5 years old (not a 40 year old) Parents are a tad pretentious but not overly so. Isolde herself is a fab kid, great friend, curious, fun, kind to my DD2... so the name has really positive meaning for me!

Umlauf Thu 21-Mar-13 19:09:58

Oh really! Not really, I speak German but don't spend time there sadly. I quite like milkmaid though!

Still18atheart Thu 21-Mar-13 19:23:09

i quite like it. nn izzy??

LeslieWrinkle Thu 21-Mar-13 19:54:04

I like it. but, as i would say it. but i don't like eesolday

LeslieWrinkle Thu 21-Mar-13 19:56:13

Minty82, were those adults called Iseult or Isolde? Iseult wouldn't be that unusual but I've never met an Irish Isolde (that doesn't mean there are none of course)

Minty82 Thu 21-Mar-13 20:07:06

Nope, both definitely Isolde and both very definitely Irish! Just a coincidence then.

I work with chemical products...this sounds like one....sorry.

ShrewveTuesday Thu 21-Mar-13 20:42:51

I much prefer Iseult (variant on the same name), but I like it. There's also Yseult. The obvious reference is Tristan and Isolde.

WinkyWinkola Thu 21-Mar-13 23:10:58

Love it

MidnightMasquerader Thu 21-Mar-13 23:30:07

I know of a 4YO Isolde; Irish, funnily enough.

I don't like the name personally, although written down it's remarkably similar to my own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now