A.A.??

(15 Posts)
VeniceQueen Tue 19-Mar-13 16:24:01

My DD is an A.A (Alex Anya) and it's never caused us and problems.

LentilAsAnything Tue 19-Mar-13 16:04:00

Lovely names. I do have to pause to make a clear break between the names so that they don't run in to each other, but not really a big deal, imo. My name is also AA. Abigail Alice. I have always liked the alliteration. And I've never been drunk, if that helps! smile Actually, I am tee-total, and always have been! Hm, maybe my initials subconsciously made me this way. Oh, and I had a really nice key fob from the Automobile Association with our AA initials on.

Gwennan Tue 19-Mar-13 15:56:48

Didn't do A.A. Milne any harm.

PointlessCow Tue 19-Mar-13 15:25:47

I would associate with Milne rather than alcoholics. As Frigg says, she'll be AAJ or AJ.

Lovely name smile

My daughter is AKF and only FIL pointed out AK47. I think you'll be fine!

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 13:52:58

How often are those names going to be said together? Hardly ever!

Kittenkatzen Tue 19-Mar-13 13:48:51

I think they are both lovely names, but worm does have a point.

I think the problem is not the alliteration but the "a" at the end of Alexandra - unless you are very careful with your enunciation you do kind of get a phantom "r" in between the two names.....so it comes out a bit like Alexandra Raurora. Obviously that only happens when you say the two names together which probably wouldn't happen all that often in real life.

DXBMermaid Tue 19-Mar-13 13:38:20

Thank you all for your input!

Didn't know about automobile association...clearly am not British wink

You really feel like the names don't fit together? I quite like the alliteration.

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 13:36:24

Definitely a non-issue

WormCanner Tue 19-Mar-13 11:34:41

Those initials in isolation make me think Automoble Association first, but as part of a name, no. I doubt anyone thinks tht when they see a book by A.A. Milne, for instance.

What I don't like is the sound of the two names together. They collide to make an awkward sound, or you have to kind of gasp in the middle.

gertrudestein Tue 19-Mar-13 10:17:15

not a problem at all. I would never have thought of that. It's a lovely name

akaemmafrost Tue 19-Mar-13 10:09:24

I love Alexandra, favourite girls name.

louschmoo Tue 19-Mar-13 10:08:41

I would never in a million years have made the link between these initials for a person's name and Alcoholics Anonymous. I really don't think you need to worry about it. And a lovely pair of names too!

FriggFRIGG Tue 19-Mar-13 10:00:00

But she won't be AA,she'll be AAJ or AJ.
It's not an issue at all.smile

DXBMermaid Tue 19-Mar-13 09:24:25

Hello,

We are thinking of calling our daughter Alexandra Aurora. Our last name starts with a J. I like the fact that the two names together mean defender of dawn, just hope it won't mean she's an early riser smile

I am aware that she will be A.A. and that for some it will be associated with alcoholics anonymous, but we've been through so many options and this is the one we like the best as it also works in both our mother-tongues (English and Dutch).

Would love to hear your thoughts on this combination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now