hyphenated first name?

(63 Posts)
ditsydoll Wed 27-Feb-13 08:41:54

DH and I have decided on Ella Rose (surname) ,however I actually prefer the name when it's hyphenated so her first name would be Ella-Rose.

Has anyone hyphenated their children's first name?

MolotovCocktail Fri 01-Mar-13 09:27:56

It's clearly a question of taste and what individuals prefer. I love the suggestions of Lily-Rose, Lily-Ella, Tallulah-Belle, Lola-Rose.

I strongly disagree with the "hillbilly" statement made upthread: IMO, this connotation depends upon the names used rather than the fact of a hyphenated name (to me, Demi-Lee is not a particualarly nice name, but Lula-Belle is).

I think hyphens mark an evolution in naming trends - some will want to be part of it, others not. Such is life!

baskingseals Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:48

i agree with molotov. it depends on the name.

i know a Gypsy-Kate, which i think is a lovely name. i think Ella-Rose is pretty, but quite popular, but i don't think that really matters if you love the name.

ErikNorseman Fri 01-Mar-13 22:27:17

Gypsy-Kate hmm
Yes it clearly is a matter of taste. And that's not taste. Not good taste, anyway.

tigerdriverII Mexico Fri 01-Mar-13 22:34:07

I used to work with someone called Annemarie. Not Anne-Marie or even Anne Marie. Have to admit it did my head in! Personally I really dislike the Molly Mae type names (Mae - what is that all about?). But that is just me smile

baskingseals Fri 01-Mar-13 22:39:01

i don't know if it matters whether names are perceived to be in good or bad taste.

i think there is something romantic in calling your daughter Lilac-Belle - i may not chose to do it myself, but i am glad that other people do.

gwenniebee Fri 01-Mar-13 22:44:47

I taught two Ella-Roses and both of them were known as Ella-Rose by everyone. I never heard anyone calling either girl just Ella.

Cathycat Fri 01-Mar-13 22:55:44

My son's class have about 12 hyphenated girls. I can't remember whos who. I just know they have a hyphen.

sweetkitty Fri 01-Mar-13 23:15:50

I have a hyphenated name and I hate it for all the reasons someone stated further down, some computer systems don't recognise hyphens at all, the second part of my name could be my surname which complicates things too.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:21:27

I'm very curious as to what Erik considers 'good taste' names to be ...

ErikNorseman Sat 02-Mar-13 07:35:45

A name that suits an adult as much as a a child
A name with meaning
A name that doesn't cause people to think wtf (witness gypsy-Kate)
A name that is not excessively sweet/sickly such as tallulah-belle and the ilk
No yooneeq spellings

That's a basic guide to avoiding terrible names. There are more guidelines but I won't go on. And please don't think I'm alone in my name disdain - it's a very common view.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:46:59

Ah, but you see, just because it's a common view, doesn't mean it's right.

And it is merely a viewpoint. You've highlighted a really narrow way of naming, one I'm so glad that not everyone follows.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:49:28

And, that disdainful view can't be that common anyway - there have been as many positive responses to Ella-Rose as there have been negative.

BikeRunSki Brazil Sat 02-Mar-13 07:56:47

Ella Rose or Ella-Rose, but you can't put a capital letter in the middle of a name (apart from MN screen names of course... wink).

I only know one person with a hyphenated first name. She is vair, posh. Has always been known by everyone as an abbreviation of the second name. Along the lines of Anne-Elizabeth, known as Lizzie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now