Florence's sister needs a name!

(70 Posts)

I need some help. I'm 36 weeks pg with DD2 & we can't think/agree on a name.
DD1 is called Florence & we're pretty uninspired for this one.
So far we quite like:
Martha
Matilda
Eliza (DH is not keen on this one).
Any comments on these or suggestions would be gratefully received!

IndigoBelle Thu 06-Dec-12 17:36:51

Like Matilda the best

What about Claudia? Rebecca? Alexandra? Tara?

Auberginestripes Thu 06-Dec-12 17:39:20

Audrey. Audrey and Florence. You couldn't get more elegant and classy.

lovemybabyboy Thu 06-Dec-12 18:01:15

I like Matilda, Florence and Matilda sound lovely together.

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Dec-12 18:02:20

I like Martha.
Maude?

PPT Thu 06-Dec-12 18:03:46

Rowan or Charlotte are my favourites!

RayanneGraff Thu 06-Dec-12 19:10:15

Florence and
Cora
Violet
Harriet
Miriam
Rosalie
Iris
Serena
Jemima
Willa
Ottalie
Opal
Hazel
Vivienne
Beatrice

Also like Martha and Eliza, Matilda good too but lots around.

manicinsomniac Thu 06-Dec-12 19:36:47

I love Matilda. One of my very favourite names. Martha is nice too and I don't mind Eliza. They all go well with Florence

I also think Flora goes well with
Annabelle, Beatrice, Charlotte, Delilah, Eloise, Felicity, Georgina, Harriet, Isabelle, Joanna, Katherine, Lucy, Miranda, Natalie, Olivia, Philippa, Rosalind, Sophia, Tabitha, Victoria

smother Thu 06-Dec-12 21:09:02

Matilda and Martha are lovely. quite a few of both around. Eliza also very nice.

What about......
Mary
Iris
Nancy
Violet
Alice
Cecily
Miriam
Marianne

FernandoIsFaster Thu 06-Dec-12 21:19:37

Elizabeth? We have an Elizabeth and if we have another dd she will be a Florence.

WonkyWilly Thu 06-Dec-12 21:28:46

I think you couldn't do much better than Matilda and Florence together, really gorgeous!! How about Tallulah....I know sisters Tallulah and Florence! Jemima and Florence would also be fabulous!

AuntieShirley Thu 06-Dec-12 22:07:53

Matilda and Florence are perfect together. I know loads of Florence's but only a couple of Matilda's.
How about Florence and
Margot
Lilian
Felicity
Madeleine
Polly
Beatrice
Emmeline
Ursula
Xanthe
Theodora
Alice
Helena
Juliet?

Not keen on Martha or Eliza.

Tistheseasontobedramatic Thu 06-Dec-12 22:12:27

I know two sisters named Florence and Georgia.

sleepywombat Fri 07-Dec-12 05:49:20

I lived on a farm with 2 gloucester old spot sows called Florence & Matilda! Nice names though.

The Florences I know have sisters called Imogen, Hannah, Beatrice, Monica.

I think it goes well with Isabel & Catherine too.

Shanghaidiva Fri 07-Dec-12 06:09:04

I like Matilda.
From the suggestions above:
Helena, Isobel, Marianne and Juliet.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Fri 07-Dec-12 06:19:46

Mabel

......my all time favourite ever.

FergusSingsTheBlues Fri 07-Dec-12 06:24:56

Themachine?

Allalonenow Fri 07-Dec-12 06:49:25

Matilda is lovely and goes well with Florence. I don't like Martha or Eliza very much, they sound too harsh to me.
Also, Tilda is a sweet nn.

HDee Fri 07-Dec-12 06:52:53

Robert

Honestly, you and your husband have had 30+ weeks to consider names, are you really going to name your daughter on the advice of strangers from Mumsnet?

I really ought to hide this section of MN...

DeckTheHallsWithBoughsOfJolly Fri 07-Dec-12 06:56:14

Amelia smile

Matilda is my favourite of your names but on reading the thread title Ivy came to mind.

Hermione?

Lydia?

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Fri 07-Dec-12 07:39:57

Well I had a proper think about this one and I think Florence is (especially given the city connotation) a name that suggests refinement, elegance, beauty. A lot of the names mentioned are lovely but just too dowdy or simple next to Florence. Martha is a great name but thanks to the Bible story it conjures up drudgery, so I don't like it so much as a partner.

The name I've seen suggested that I really like as a match is Beatrice, nickname Bea (but pronounced the same way as a Danish friend of mine; Bey-ah, not Bee).

I also like of the suggestions Imogen, Marianne, Juliet, Catherine, Elisabeth, Georgia, Philippa. I will add Elysia and Meredith.

HDee - who is Robert? If it's the OP I'd say no, she's going to name based on her opinion of what suits! There's no harm in asking opinions of strangers for names in the right ballpark, to widen her selection pool. I was named after an elderly lady in the hospital my Mum had me in... random inspiration.

forgetmenots Fri 07-Dec-12 09:31:59

I flipping love Martha. But I also agree with a few upthread - so what about Audrey, Beatrice, Nancy, Cecilia, Iris, Joan, Elizabeth.

To my ear (and this is based on absolutely nothing) Matilda sounds much more modern than Florence, and Eliza more 'flashy' - I like both names but not with Florence.

legalalien Fri 07-Dec-12 09:44:06

My grandmother was called Florence, her sisters were Dorothy, rose and Elizabeth. I like Rose with Florence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now