Everyone keeps taking MY names!!!

(50 Posts)
binkybonk Sat 01-Dec-12 12:07:59

Aaaahhh!!! All of baby group/ old friends/ the world seem to be having babies in these last couple of months and they have cleared out my baby name list (it wasn't long, I'm a teacher, it rules out 95% of names straight off)
I have a DS Charlie
The options were Freddie for a boy and Emilia (Millie) for a girl.
Do I plough on and name them that or change?
What goes w Charlie? I struggled to get used to it originally as too poncey, DH's first choice and only choice, posted on here about changing it about 4 wks in,but somehow now love it and need similar names to go with it.

RooneyMara Thu 24-Jan-13 16:50:58

I've got a Freddie btw! It's great. He's 3 weeks old. smile

Mollydoggerson Thu 24-Jan-13 16:55:25

Rowan
Catherine
Carlo
Carla

Mollydoggerson Thu 24-Jan-13 16:56:54

Sorry Carlo and Carla are bonkers with Charlie, all the same name!

Matthew? Can be Matt or Mattie.

Or use Henry as a first name with Charlie as a second name - then the two boys would always have a special link, and tbh, most people would never even notice as how often do middle names actually get used in life? Charlie and Henry sound good together....

rockinhippy Thu 24-Jan-13 17:05:54

Boys - Leon, Bertie, Teddy, Eddie (Edward) Johnny, Harland(which could be Harry or Harls) Alfred, which you can then sneakily shorten to Freddie wink Rory, Frankie (or Franklyn) Jimmy, Jerry (Jerome)

FranglaisMaman Thu 24-Jan-13 17:39:36

I think:
Charlie & Harry
Charlie & Henry

Think they make a good brother set. The fact you used Henry as a MN for Charlie wouldn't put me off personally.

Darksideofthe80s Thu 24-Jan-13 17:45:06

Rhuari or Reuben or my fav Seth

DessieLou Thu 24-Jan-13 19:32:04

Nicholas
Daniel
Joseph
Aidan
George
Flynn

I know a Charlie & Joshua

binkybonk Fri 25-Jan-13 01:52:10

Fab suggestions! Thanks grin
MN solves my problems once again.
I think Charlie and Harry/ Henry does sound good but there are lots of names that have got me thinking.
Ta smile

Lollybrolly Fri 25-Jan-13 02:17:45

Alfie?

toffeelolly Fri 25-Jan-13 02:40:13

jude

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 25-Jan-13 03:13:12

I was going to suggest Henry because unless you refer to DS as Charlie Henry it seems a shame not to use it if you love it.

Someone on Baby section said the other day Peter is making a comeback?

Patrick is nice, you can shorten to Paddy.

Tell DH you adore the name Basil (Baz). He'll probably come round to any hitherto airily dismissed choice of yours sharpish.

anonymosity Fri 25-Jan-13 05:21:10

I say plough on indeed and name them what you want. I named my dd differently (gave favourite name as 2nd name) because a local friend had a dd of the same name. Now we live 6000 miles away and it would have made not one jot of difference.

Yfronts Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:38

Frankie?

Just go with a name you love and apologise to friend.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 25-Jan-13 14:17:20

In fact look at it this way. You give up on Henry and choose another name. Then the next baby boy born to one of your circle gets called Henry! How would you feel?!

EbbNFlow Fri 25-Jan-13 14:22:42

I know a Charlie and Lily, Charlie and Max and a Charlie and Ethan.

Frankie
Kit
Evan
Bertie
Billy
Sam
Isaac
Leo
Louis (Loo-ee not Lewis)
Theo
Milo
Jake/Jacob
Hugo

pixi2 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:27:03

My friend has a Sebastian and we call him seb. I think it goes nicely with Charlie.

Lewis
Benjamin (Ben)
Oscar
Owen
Jeremy

pixi2 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:28:57

Peter is definitely making a comeback in my area, expect to see lots coming up to nursery and reception soon.

MeganBD Fri 25-Jan-13 14:39:22

ahh I know, it's so frustrating! you have my sympathies - I just lost my one and only girl's name - Lily- because my sis in law has used it.

It's a name that goes way back in my father's family and has such meaning for me - sniff!

Anyone got any ideas for a Lily replacement? thanks

amck5700 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:46:31

Megan, Lilian? Alice, Emma, Amy, Lucy?

MeganBD Fri 25-Jan-13 14:51:25

Thank you smile

Lilian might be too similar - as in she'd become a Lily within seconds I think.. But I like Amy & Lucy.. food for thought, thanks!

Sasparillo Fri 25-Jan-13 14:57:39

I really think Charlie & Harry (which I would most cetaiy use if I had another boy) would make a great sib set smile I have a Charlie & Daisy, which I absolutely love smile I quite like Charlie & Edward too (Ted). Good luck deciding xx

Mellymog Sat 26-Jan-13 19:53:25

I'm a teacher and expecting DS2 in June. We have a short list of 3 at the moment

Milo, Arlo and Seth

DS1 is Noah and i'm annoyed at how popular that has become.

WalterandWinifred Sat 26-Jan-13 20:14:51

I've got a Charlie and William.

My other favourite boy names were Harry,
Alexander,
Sebastian,
Thomas,
Oliver,
Noah,
Lawrence,
Theo,
Freddie.

I would have had
Lucy,
Louisa,
Matilda,
Annabel,
Ottilie,
Imogen,
Harriet,
Emmeline or
Beatrice had they been girls.

I don't think you can worry too much about duplicating a name, unless its really unusual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now