A brother for Lois - help!

(94 Posts)
gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 12:55:10

DP and I are drawing a great big blank trying to agree on a name for our baby boy. He's not due till the end of February, so we have a while to go, but the hunt is starting to drive me a bit nuts. We have zero names on our list! I loved picking a girl's name for DD, but boys' ones just don't grab me in the same way.

DP likes Flynn (Tron fan) but I'm not sold.

I like Bill, but not William (coupled with surname it becomes a wrongly spelled version of a famous American novelist's name) or Billy (silly billy). I also like Eric, but DP has vetoed. And Wilfred (love Wilf) - vetoed. I have a hankering for Marv(in) too, but suspect that's the pregnancy hormones talking (and too many episodes of Charlie and Lola).

We've toyed with Joe and Saul, but neither is 'the one'.

We want something unusual, but not too 'out there', preferably one or two syllables and not ending in -y/-ie. It must suit a baby, teen and man equally well. Plus it needs to go with Lois (and, no, we aren't considering Clark).

Please, bunch of strangers, can you help us out? I really want him to have a name we love as much as our DD's, not a compromise.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 20:42:05

Hmmm, doesn't feel like a complete name to me somehow. (Sorry to any Ivo owners out there.)

shriekingnora Wed 14-Nov-12 20:43:23

Jeremy?

B1ueberryMuff1n Wed 14-Nov-12 20:47:35

What about Jesse?

I would hesitate to use that myself mind you but I do like it.

gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 20:48:02

Maybe Jerry...

B1ueberryMuff1n Wed 14-Nov-12 20:48:13

Roscoe

gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 20:49:00

Love Jesse, but when it came to the crunch I think I'd back out cos it's a bit girly.

B1ueberryMuff1n Wed 14-Nov-12 20:49:25

Jerry short for Jeremy? would prefer Jem.

I think I like quite girly names for boys though. I love Kim for a boy.

gufflings Wed 14-Nov-12 20:49:30

Roscoe almost rhymes with the surname, unfort.

B1ueberryMuff1n Wed 14-Nov-12 20:51:25

Rex

stephrick Wed 14-Nov-12 20:54:19

Jago, I really wished I called eldest son this, but we went for Daniel, anyhow Jago is cornish for james.

stephrick Wed 14-Nov-12 20:55:45

pronounced Jaygo

nicecupofteaplease Wed 14-Nov-12 20:55:53

Jago, Arlo

culturemulcher Wed 14-Nov-12 20:58:13

I have a lovely Lois and whisper it wish I'd gone for Oscar for DS. Oscar and Lois, sounds right.

shriekingnora Wed 14-Nov-12 20:59:48

Nathaniel nn Nat?

culturemulcher Wed 14-Nov-12 21:01:44

Also love the Milo suggestion

stephrick Wed 14-Nov-12 21:03:55

Milo is a horlicks drink in Australia

We have a Bill. He's awesome - would definitely recommend! Also like Jim, Ted & Bob. grin

Oh - and Sid.

B1ueberryMuff1n Wed 14-Nov-12 21:13:25

Bill fits the style better.

I like that name.

crazynanna Wed 14-Nov-12 21:20:17

wildrumpus how weird.....they are 2 of my dcs names...Lois and Lloyd

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 10:00:18

Oooh ooh, HenriettaChicken, is your Bill a William on his birth certificate? How old is he? Does he like his name? (And does he get called silly Billy?) DCs have a cousin called Jim already, but do like Ted and Bob too.

crazynanna, what are your other DCs' names?

Current list is:
Bill (top fave)
Frank
Lloyd
Rudy
Saul (DP now says it's 'OK')
Victor
Wilfred (I just keep it on there in the vain hope...)

Await the Baby Name Wizard book with baited breath...

He's only 7 months, & is William on his birth certificate (but really just to avoid the initials BJ...and just because that's what worked for us) - but no-one except his great grandma calls him that! And silly Billy? No - he hasn't been called that so far! Obviously Primary will be the true test. wink

People think it's a really cool name because so few little ones seem to be called Bill: they're usually Will or Billy. It definitely suits him.

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 11:50:44

It IS cool. Good to know there's a little Bill out there. It's definitely top of our list. Suspect it would be William on the BC for us too - even though that'll make him William Burrows... My only reservation (apart from the William Burrows/William Burroughs thing) is that it feels like we'd be forcing his NN upon him, when a NN is normally something that comes about naturally.

Has anyone out there put a diminutive form of a name on a BC? Is Bill enough of a name in its own right, do you think? Not sure...

Hey, Willam Burroughs is a great person to share a name with! We toyed around with other versions of William - Willem/Gwilym/Guillaume/Guillermo for the certificate, but we didn't think that'd really work in no-nonsense South Yorkshire where we live!

And we also know that Bill may come home from school with a new nn Will/Billy/Liam/ please God not Wills or Willy but at home he will always be our Bill!

gufflings Thu 15-Nov-12 12:51:35

Hee hee at the idea of a little Guillermo in South Yorkshire. Likewise want to avoid Wills/Willy at all costs.

Thinking about it, there are loads of diminutive forms of my name, but people don't normally deviate from the shortened form I use (unless bloody-minded/deaf/both).

Just discovered that Lloyd means 'grey' in Welsh, which might be a nice way to honour one of DD's less strange name choices for DS: Gray. William Lloyd Burrows. Hmmm...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now