Being induced on Tues and DH and I cannot agree

(43 Posts)
Ineedacoffee Fri 05-Oct-12 08:24:00

I am being induced next week - having a little girl and we are nowhere with names. DH and I seem to have very different taste for girls. We have a list which neither of us is sold on but neither has vetoed:

Cora (more DH than me)
Georgia
Eleanor

Less sure:
Elisabeth
Catherine

names I love include
Jemima (my absolute favourite, which I can't get past id you know what I mean)
Beatrice
Alice
Clementine
Norah
Esme

names DH loves
Thandi
Zawadi (seriously)
Tana
Tara
Erin
Perry

We both like Annabelle, Isobel, Eve and Olivia but can't use them because of family/friends

Any ideas on compromises or thoughts on out first 5? Any help[ very gratefully received!! Thank you.

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 20:11:46

Jemima, Beatrice and Elizabeth are my taste. It's hard to say anything about your husband's list... I can't remember what they were but, I know I didn't like them so much.

I recommend not discussing it 'til a moment after you've pushed her out and then say in a weak voice 'oh she looks like a jemima'. and then shut your eyes and murmur oh welcome to the world baby jemima, smile dreamily and catch forty winks.

DebK2012 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:36:16

Imogen??

LemonBreeland Tue 16-Oct-12 19:01:27

Also Tana Ramsay has a full name, Tana is just a nn.

LemonBreeland Tue 16-Oct-12 19:00:13

OP you seem to have similar taste to me. I wanted dd to be Clementine or Jemima.

I'm not keen on Eleanor or Cora. Georgia is okay.

From your dhs list I quite like Thandi and Erin.

Annabel is a lovely name and is dds middle name.

DebK2012 Tue 16-Oct-12 18:51:36

My best friend is a Georgia, which is great for her as can be shortened to George.

mathanxiety Mon 15-Oct-12 05:46:05

Your names are all fine with the exception of Cora and Georgia.

Your DH's names are all horrible except for Erin.

And maybe Tara.

JessePinkman Sun 14-Oct-12 23:54:00

I would add Winnie. Best wishes on the baby.

BlueSkySinking Sun 14-Oct-12 23:33:41

Try out the names on her when she is born.

eatyourveg Fri 12-Oct-12 12:33:20

I think Eleanor Grace would fit well but as you say - its probably too late in the day for it to matter what any of us think

lalabaloo Fri 12-Oct-12 12:18:44

Quite probable that baby already has a name, but I'll throw Nat(h)alia into the mix

melliebobs Fri 12-Oct-12 08:36:40

I live Eleanor but couldn't even suggest it for dd (nancy) as my Neice is called Ellie

strawberryswing Fri 12-Oct-12 08:35:07

I have a 3 month old georgia, so im biased but its lovely and my favourite from your list smile

lisaro Wed 10-Oct-12 14:37:08

Your are fine. Please don't in the post birth euphoric rush, let your DH saddle name her v

MoonHare Wed 10-Oct-12 13:38:01

Is baby here yet, what name did you decide on OP???

nappyaddict Wed 10-Oct-12 11:52:00

Love Cora, Beatrice, Catherine, Clementine, Tara and Norah.

happierhigherstrongerwheezing Mon 08-Oct-12 15:40:38

I looked at your names and wondered whether your dh was south African given the names that he likes.

Tana Ramsey has sa connections, I think because he husband used to fly with her sister's husband who all were SA.

Anyway, tana sounds like tena (lady).

All your names are lovely,mclearly a woman with taste! Norah, is my fav.

MaBaya Mon 08-Oct-12 15:34:15

I love Cora. My definite favourite.

Elisabeth is a classic with good nickname options.

Catherine is lovely, too.

Your DH's taste is...wonky lol

plantsitter Mon 08-Oct-12 14:53:00

(but I think Georgia is lovely)

plantsitter Mon 08-Oct-12 14:52:47

Is he going to be with you when you give birth? Odds are he'll be so in awe of you he'll let you have Jemima ;)

Wait until you meet her and then decide, it's much easier.

Narked Sat 06-Oct-12 19:08:45

Georgina?

I like Erin, Tara, Alice and Eleanor.

AgathaTrunchbull Sat 06-Oct-12 19:01:43

Lots of Eleanors out there. Catherine and Elizabeth (or however you decide to spell it) are timeless and allow for a variety of shortened versions. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth.

Not desperately keen on Jemima. Puddle duck and a bit little-girly.
Beatrice is very nice, very grown-up. Alice is fine, but a bit commonplace. Clementine's horrid and a fruit. Norah's nice enough (it's served my grandmother well for 88 years!). Esme only if short for Esmerelda, which is lovely.

Thandi?? Sandy with a lisp?
Zawadi as in the comic book character? Assume he's going for the meaning? Hmm. Not sure the world's ready for that one yet!
Tana - meh.
Perry's horrid. Pear cider or short for Peregrine.
Erin's alright. Bit dull.

Tara's a great name. Easy to spell, very international (has Irish and Hindi connections), actually very uncommon, despite its relative simplicity. Best one on your husband's list!

Thumbwitch Sat 06-Oct-12 03:12:29

NOT Perry. Kevin and Perry are still too well known, and Perry is more a boy's name anyway (and of course it's short for Peregrine, who is a hobbit, even if his nn in the books was Pippin).

Zawadi - I wouldn't do that either.

The rest of your DH's list is fine though - but if he does use Tana, be aware that many people will just assume her name is Tania and someone missed a letter out whenever they see it written down.

I don't like Jemima - still associates with that flipping doll from Playschool in my head and always will; but the rest of your names I like (ok, I lied, not Norah - Norah Batty is my first thought, always)

Coralie is nicer than Cora but you still get Cora as a nn
Ellora - ok, it's Indian but it's a nice name, IMO

Gugglebum Sat 06-Oct-12 03:03:56

I like Georgia, and most of your list. If you both like Annabelle, etc, what about Arabella? Similar starting sound to his Erin, the bell, which you both seem to like well enough, and a beautiful classic name with (to me) a similar feel to your list.

nickeldaisical Fri 05-Oct-12 14:39:49

Let's see....

Cora - don't like
Georgia - like
Eleanor - love (DD's name)
Elisabeth - prefer with a Z,
Catherine - prefer with a K (and then it's one of my faves - DD's middle name and named after my bestest ever friend)

Jemima
Beatrice
Alice
Clementine
Norah
Esme

I like all of those except Norah and Clementine.

names DH loves
Thandi
Zawadi (seriously)
Tana
Tara
Erin
Perry

Have to say I don't like most of the ones in your DH's list - they might be okay abroad, but not in the UK. Especially Perry which is a boy's name.
I do like Erin and Tara.

We both like Annabelle, Isobel, Eve and Olivia - just because they're family/friends, doesn't mean you can't use them. People like to be named after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now