Are there loads of Elizabeths and Esmes out there?

(38 Posts)
TribbleTuckandDismount Wed 03-Oct-12 22:29:17

I love these names, but I'm wondering if I give a potential girl these names that she'll end up being one of five in the same class. If she was an Elizabeth, she'd probably end up being called Lizzy.

If anyone has any other names that are in a similar vein, I'd love to hear them as I can't think of any others.

nappyaddict Sat 06-Oct-12 10:36:24

Here are my similar names:

Sylvie, Jeannie, Ana, Patricia, June, Cynthia, Florence, Rosemary, Rita, Lillian, Wendy, Penelope, Tulip, Gillian, Daphne, Darrell, Sally, Gwendoline, Alicia, Mavis, Mabel, Minnie, Maggie, Judith/Jude, Janey, Clara, Anastasia, Rosa, Audrey, Miriam (Mimi), Hazel, Dorothy, Jenna, Stefya, Peggy, Alison (Ally), Margot, Frances, Betty, Diana, Angelina, Angelica, Maree, Teresa (Tessa/Tessie), Natalia, Belinda, Millicent, Tatiana, Loretta, Enid, Bessie, Bethan, Lispeth, Esther, Elsa, Elise, Elodie, Louisa, Luisa, Annabella, Cora, Tulip, Pansy, Flora, Rowan, Delilah, Deliah, Carlotta, Nancy, Claudia, Henrietta, Harrietta, Etta, Penelope, Nell, Beatrice, Beatrix, Vera, Susannah, Edith, Olive, Seraphina, Sefarina, Julietta, Josephina, Ethel, Petula, Dixie, Phoenix, Elvira, Miranda, Hilda, Barbara, Pearl, Hillary, Tabitha, Opal, Emmelina, Isadora, Theadora, Kitty, Genevieve, Helena, Lillith, Rosalind, Cordelia, Lisbet, Arabella, Claribel.

mewkins Fri 05-Oct-12 22:10:22

I have a 2yo called Elizabeth (nn Lizzie) and know of a one yo called Elizabeth but nn. Libby. The only others I know are 30 plus! Dd is named after her great-grandmother but it definitely suits her.

mrsfuzzy Thu 04-Oct-12 22:59:11

love your nickname - brilliant!

FloellaDaVille Thu 04-Oct-12 22:42:15

I have an Esme (pronounced Es-mee) who is 8. There is one other in her school and don't know any others of her age. I've taught a couple over the last 19 years and love her name. Hoping it doesn't get too popular ...

LaydeeC Thu 04-Oct-12 22:37:36

I have a teenage Esme (also pronounced the correct way which is Es-mee grin)
Not another one in her whole secondary school and she has always been complimented on what a lovely name it is.
I have come across some others in passing, ie I don't know them directly but they are a friend of a friend's sort of thing.
I love it

birdofthenorth Thu 04-Oct-12 21:08:22

I have an Elizabeth aged 2, don't know any others (yet). There is one Esme and one Esmae in DD's nursery (the whole nursery of 100 odd kids, not just her clas). Elizabeth is higher up the charts but many, like DD who is Bess, are better known by one of the many possible nns. Esme has shot up the popularity charts lately (whereas Elizabeth has always been up there) but is still less common. Both fab names IMHO.

septemberpie Thu 04-Oct-12 20:48:44

I know 4 little girls called Esme but only 1 Elizabeth who is much older. I love the name Elizabeth and so many nice nn options too!

TribbleTuckandDismount Thu 04-Oct-12 19:59:37

Oh thank you, thats reassuring.

I think they'll both stay in our top five (should DC2 be a girl).

DidYouSmashHerShireHorses Thu 04-Oct-12 19:43:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Woozley Thu 04-Oct-12 18:09:22

There are 3 (variations of) Elizabeth in Y3 at DD1's school. Not sure about other years.

Dogsmom Thu 04-Oct-12 18:05:52

Esme has become popular because of the Twilight books and films.

We've considered Elizabeth for our daughter due in March but neither of us like the nn Liz which is probably what she'd eventually end up as.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 04-Oct-12 18:02:04

Come across lots of Esmes but no Elizabeth's.

Hope that continues. Elizabeth is on our short list.

cece Thu 04-Oct-12 16:43:02

Don't get me started on how to pronounce Esme...

MoonHare Thu 04-Oct-12 15:58:15

We're thinking of Esme for DC3 - if a girl - due in a couple of weeks.

In 2010 there were 823 girls born named Esme it was 74th most popular name.

In 2010 there were 1356 girls named Elizabeth and it was 49th most popular name. However it was going down in popularity whereas Esme has risen considerably in the last 10 years. Though the jubilee effect may mean Elizabeth beomes more popular again.

I think that the ONS stats on names (for which 2011 figures are available) can be broken down by region, then you'd have a better idea of which is most common where you live.

Obv. my personal preference is for Esme (pronounced the correct way i.e. Ez-may).

cece Thu 04-Oct-12 15:06:25

Whoops meant to add some other suggestions of names we/I liked. Although both your names are lovely.

Anna
Annie
Helen
Helena
Thea
Althea
Alethea
Verity
Eve
Ellen
Sarah
Sara

cece Thu 04-Oct-12 15:04:56

I have an Esme.

She is in secondary school. In her Junior school there were two and I also have a friend with one. We occasionally come across Esmes at the swimming pool, beach, supermarket etc. So I think there are a few about but not loads iyswim. They do all seem to be quite a bit younger than mine.

I don't know any children called Elizabeth socially but have taught a couple. I like the Elisabeth spelling. I think it is a lovely name with lots of nn potential should you want it.

RillaBlythe Thu 04-Oct-12 14:57:34

I know two Esmes but no baby Elizabeths. I do know a Betsy but I think she is just a Betsy.

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 11:45:11

Sorry i meant I know of one Esme and one Elizabeth

Signet2012 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:44:45

I called my three week old Elizabeth and have had lots of compliments on her name. I do not know any other Elizabeth's smile

Quadrangle Thu 04-Oct-12 11:44:38

No I don't think she would be one of several in a class. I know of two at our school, although there may well be more I don't know about. In my dds' years (primary school) there are lots of Lucys, (three in one class) Maddies, Matthews.

lynniep Thu 04-Oct-12 11:42:52

I dont know any Esmes. I think its v. pretty. I know an Elspeth which I believe is the scottish version of Elizabeth. I know a few Elizabeths, and yes, most are known as Lizzie.

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:41:47

I do love Elizabeth.

i have an Elizabeth she is the only one in our small 200 children village school.

shoppingtrolley Thu 04-Oct-12 11:37:18

Around here there's quite a bit of Elsie and Esme -- no actual first-name Elizabeths.

flopsy1974 Thu 04-Oct-12 11:33:47

I know of one Esme, one Elizabeth and two Betsy's. I wouldn't say either of your choices are particularly popular but the various shortenings of Elizabeth seem to be being used more and more as a stand alone name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now