Totally outing myself but I have to share...

(92 Posts)
kickingKcurlyC Tue 10-Jul-12 15:35:45

A little girl has joined DD's nursery.
Her name is CUPCAKE.

I suppose it is nicer than Fishfinger, or Potato.

(Oh. If the mum is a Mumsnetter: Hello mum of Cupcake!
So...
... cough...
...Are you going to the summer fair on Saturday? smile)

Anonymumous Sat 14-Jul-12 10:14:18

My husband taught a girl called Eccles. Nothing wrong with Eccles!

MsIndependence Sat 14-Jul-12 11:47:24

Heard a Mum in the park calling her 2 boys Ocean and Amazon. Realize these names may not be that unusual but they surprised me. If anything I could imagine more being used for girls!smile

MrsHBaby3 Sat 14-Jul-12 16:03:26

There's a boy in my sons class called Jumper. Cupcake is cute as a NN but even if the pregnancy hormones were playing up, why didn't the dad say NO!

Omelette Sun 15-Jul-12 16:19:33

I once called a child in from the waiting room. The name on the form was 'Chanel', so I called out for "Shanelle" (phonetically) and got corrected by her irate mum, who told me "it's pronounced 'Channel'".

Booette Sun 15-Jul-12 21:45:09

I'll out myself here too.

When DS5 went to playgroup there was a boy called Squidgey there too. It was labelled on his peg and drawers and I really did think WTF!

Anyway, I think that that was all he'd ever been called so he didn't actually know his real name (which I'm not putting on here as I've never heard it before, but there were 2 at the playgroup strangely!) So they started by calling him by his nickname and by the time he was ready for school he was used to his real name!

Maybe Cupcake is the same? I'm hoping Cupcake is the same!

timetosmile Sun 15-Jul-12 21:47:06

I know Cupcake, Daughter of Fruitcake, no?

DontEatTheVolesKids Sun 15-Jul-12 21:52:51

When I went to ceremony to become a nationalised Brit there was an Asian family there in lovely traditional dress (as we were invited to dress in national costumes, I refrained from wearing a baseball cap). Anyway, Daughter1 had a very Asian sounding name. But their DD2 had a name like Twinkle. "Twinkle" was read out by the Registrar in jolly "welcome to our country" voice, confirmed on her Naturalisation Certificate and all.

Twinkle. Twinkle Patasianhisunihari, or something like that.

MalmoMum Mon 16-Jul-12 15:39:35

I just posted this over on the unusual things not on your CV thread. It ties in here. Here goes:

I have one on names that ties a couple of the threads together in a previously unthought of way. Background: In Swedish Winnie-the-Pooh is called Nalle Poo (a nalle is a teddy). Can you guess where this is going???

Yep, there was a girl at DS1s kindergarden called Poo. I really could not think of a nice way to raise the subject. And I don't think you can change your name by deed poll over there with all the ID card stuff...

Shortly after DS2 was born I had some bed linen that had a sample of every single human bodily fluid on it. I could list them. I hadn't heard of Tracey Emin then so went and washed it rather than preserving it for the nation.

labelwriter Mon 16-Jul-12 15:45:55

There is a Tinkerbell at DD's gymnastics class!

purplepansy Mon 16-Jul-12 20:08:17

One of my kids went to nursery with a child called Zillion. I still have no idea whether Zillion was a girl or a boy.

MalmoMum Mon 16-Jul-12 23:11:47

I have had to ban talk of infinity, the largest number you can think of, how does it divide by zero, inifinty and beyond, my infinity is better than yours, my gillion is this big, take that zillion etc at meal times so My Head does not implode. So Zillion could have taken it to the back of the queue.

I am a girl with a maths brain and Grumpy Husband has a Phd in satellite technology so I think he should supervise. When he is around planet earth...

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 17-Jul-12 20:55:22

MalmoMum- maybe I'm being thick but you're making no sense!

Re: names, all the children I trash have boring, normal ones! Alicia douvalls "shopping list" made me lol though! :-)

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 17-Jul-12 20:56:10

Erm, teach, not trash!! (thanks autocorrect!)

FrauGrau Tue 17-Jul-12 21:07:09

Poppy, Pixie, Cherry, Pippa, Bunny, Dippy, Doppy, Dappy, all SOOOO much more acceptable!

BabyStone Sat 21-Jul-12 13:56:37

are you actually serious?!?! this is stupid! I am actually a fan of unusual names but thats just cruel for the child! Its probably a nickname, theres a doll called Baby Cupcake so maybe its because of that?!

lastly LOL!!!!!!!

vamosbebe Sat 21-Jul-12 14:11:53

CUPCAKE? bloody hilarious!!

I met a guy in Spain called: Kevin Costner de Jesus smile

winkle2 Sat 21-Jul-12 17:39:36

Twinkle is a popular Indian name back in India!

So is Dimple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now