Welsh Boys Names

(67 Posts)
BlondeBluebird Thu 07-Jun-12 12:23:22

Hi All

I am Welsh,have a welsh name and speak welsh but now live in england.Even our dog has a welsh name and all his commands are in welsh and english.
Anyway..I am currently 28 weeks pg with our first baby,a boy.
Would really love a welsh name but struggling.The only one I can come up with that I like is WYNN.We already have a Rhodri.
Can anyone help.
x

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 13:07:15

I should know that being Welsh really. From Cardiff though,not an awful lot of Welsh was being spoken when I was younger,though it is now on tje up smile. I prefer Ah-neigh-rin as it goes,just thought I would have to use the Aneirin spelling.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

DuelingFanjo Thu 25-Oct-12 13:03:37

Alisvolatpropiis my first language welsh speaking friends say they are both spelt the same way. "neu" and "nei" make the same sound (Neigh) in the Welsh language so both would be said the same way.

It's like Eisteddfod is 'Eigh-steddfod' not 'Eye-steddfod' for the same reasons.

People will pronounce it wrong though, because they don't understand why certain combinations of words make certain sounds in the Welsh language.

SoupDragon Thu 25-Oct-12 12:03:47

I would have loved to name a son Idris [sigh]

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 25-Oct-12 11:57:40

DuellingFanjo I thought Ah-nye-rin was a legit pronounciation? Aneurin being Ah-nye-rin and Aneirin being Ah-neigh-rin?

SoSoMamanBebe Thu 25-Oct-12 11:41:24

Bryn
Gareth
Dai
Dafyd

echidnakid Wed 24-Oct-12 05:51:42

One of my favourite Welsh boys names is Ianto (pronounced Yan-toh).

Benaberry Tue 23-Oct-12 23:00:07

We've used Ifor Bryn and Ioan Emrys (and I've potentially just outed myself...)

We don't live in Wales right now, although would love to go back one day - DH is Welsh. We wanted to use welsh names but they had to be relatively straightforward given where we live. They also incorporate Welsh versions of their grandfathers' names.

Others high up on the shorlists were Idris, Owain and Aneirin. We've got the Heini Gryffydd Welsh names book, which has some fab names in it.

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Fri 19-Oct-12 22:45:43

We have used Ellis, Osian, Tarran and Vonn. I liked Taliesin but thought it was too hard to pronounce. I also liked Aneurin and Byron and Morgan.

mewkins Fri 19-Oct-12 22:35:59

I would choose Evan. Love it. I also like David - not sure if that counts but a good solid name.

luckylavender Thu 18-Oct-12 14:00:50

Gareth

DuelingFanjo Tue 16-Oct-12 22:38:20

I love pointing out that if you do chose Aneurin make sure you pronounce it correctly - ah-neigh-rin.

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 16-Oct-12 22:28:42

Oh, and Glynn, Owain, Huw were all very popular names at my school. Though to be honest half of them ended up nicknamed Taffy once they went to Uni anyway!!

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 16-Oct-12 22:17:21

Brought up in Wales.

All time fave welsh boys name = Tudur (or Tudor)

Also like:
Osian
Llewelyn
Cymro
Lalo
Dylan
Trystan
Geraint

Discolite Tue 16-Oct-12 22:09:32

Cian? I love Rhidian too but in England it may be too difficult in terms of pronunciation.

DebK2012 Tue 16-Oct-12 17:57:43

Bryn, Cai or Cybi?

OldCatLady Tue 16-Oct-12 14:40:34

Evan and Elis I like. And very easy in English

MB34 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:37:42

Thanks alex, I'll definitely check that out

alexpolismum Mon 15-Oct-12 07:59:45

MB34

here is the Welsh learners thread if you are interested.

alexpolismum Mon 15-Oct-12 07:57:46

MB34 Good luck with the bilingualism. I am also bringing up bilingual children (English and Greek) and it can be tough! Anyway, if you go to the Bilingualism section and look at the welsh learners thread, there are some links on there aimed at bilingual families. I seem to remember there was one with Welsh nursery rhymes on

33goingon64 Iori is nice! I quite like that! It's a new one for me.

We would have gone for Bran if dd2 had been a boy.

Ilovecake1 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:16:56

Llongyfarchiadau. Be am Iago, Macs, Sandde, Twm, Celt, Berwyn, Cellan!

33goingon64 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:40

My father in law is Iorweth, which is shorted to Iori (pronounced Yori). I like it and am thinking of using it for DC2 if we have a boy, but as a middle name, as our surname is almost as Welsh as you can get and not being Welsh myself I think it might be a bit much. Ioan is an alternative.

MB34 Sun 14-Oct-12 21:15:55

Yes, he will be bilingual. But my issue is that he will have a double barreled surname with one of the names being Polish so I'm not keen on him having a difficult first name too.

I'm not keen on the others - I'm with you alex on the Urien thing (also that it's one spelling mistake away from a bodily fluid lol!) But I am coming round to Taliesin. Although, looking at it I would either pronounce it as Tal-eye-sin or Tal-ee-shin but DH says it's pronounced Tal-yes-in.

alexpolismum Sun 14-Oct-12 18:45:12

MB34

I think Urien would get pronounced "you-rien" or "oo-rien" or even "you-rye-en".

Taliesin is better known, I think. Mathonwy is also easy to pronounce, or something like Iestyn (Welsh for Justin) is pretty easy. I would choose it if I lived in Wales! Or just in the UK generally...

Are you planning on bringing up your child bilingually?

MB34 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:03:40

Am liking this thread! I live in Wales but can't speak Welsh, but my DH's family's first language is Welsh. I would like a Welsh name that is easy to spell and pronounce but not too common.

Some other names that DH has come up with are Iolo, Mathonwy, Urien (pn Ir-ee-an), Caian.

DH loves Taliesin, he's told me how it's pronounced, I can't seem to get my head around it though - can anyone else enlighten me? Does anyone think it's too difficult to pronounce?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now