Fleur?

(34 Posts)
Mysecretumbrella Thu 06-Oct-11 14:17:54

For a completely non-French family? I like it a lot but am wondering if some (grandparents maybe) may find the pronounciation tricky and also is it a bit... bleugh??

BlueChampagne Thu 06-Oct-11 15:26:04

No it's great. Makes me think of the poet Fleur Adcock and she's from New Zealand. And most people do some French at school.

ItsGrimUpNorth Thu 06-Oct-11 15:29:22

Very pretty name.

oohlaalaa Thu 06-Oct-11 15:39:26

Its lovely

Mysecretumbrella Thu 06-Oct-11 16:14:25

Ooh good, positive responses so far. Thank you. DH is worried that Dmil is going to mangle the pronounciation but hopefully once we'd explained it the first time it would be OK.

Awaiting some negative comments now...

overmydeadbody Thu 06-Oct-11 16:17:05

Not a name I personally like but I can pronounce it and don't think many people (esp. family) would pronounce it wrong once you have told them, so go for it if you like it.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 06-Oct-11 16:17:52

Love it. Surprisingly underused IMHO.

minipie Thu 06-Oct-11 16:24:10

I am in two minds on this one.

Written I think it's pretty and the meaning is v pretty of course.

But then when I say it it just sounds a bit too much like Ugh .... Fleeuurghh if you see what I mean.

But I do still like it...

ShroudOfHamsters Thu 06-Oct-11 16:48:12

Yes it looks nicer written than pronounced... or rather, the pronunciation can be lovely but it's got the potential to sound terrible with certain accents!

'Fleeeeeuuurgh'

Good name though. How badly do you think your MIL might mangle?

Fflur in Welsh. Often pronounced 'Flea-arr' by the non-Welsh. Eeek.

mathanxiety Thu 06-Oct-11 16:58:07

Rhymes with Blur and suggests the flux to me (aka dysentery).

babycham42 Thu 06-Oct-11 17:06:17

I love it and always have.It reminds me of little girls dressed in the beautifully stylish French way.I think it would also be a very attractive name to carry into adulthood.

Meteorite Thu 06-Oct-11 17:23:18

It is a bit like bleeurrgh, sorry!

Mysecretumbrella Thu 06-Oct-11 18:32:20

Yes minipie and shroudofhamsters, you've pretty much summed up my thoughts on it. Seems lovely in theory but...

MIL is Scottish - I'm trying to imagine how she might say it but am not sure.

I do like it though so I think it's a strong contender. 6 months to go though!

Lovethesea Thu 06-Oct-11 18:40:35

Makes me think of the Fleur in Harry Potter, but that's no bad thing!

I don't like the urrrrrgh either though.

Dru6 Thu 06-Oct-11 19:46:44

We're undecided between Fleur and Alice. My husband is French and his mother asked if it's a real name?!? I think she was just being awkward because she doesn't like it. My mum, on the other hand, loves it!

I too am concerned about the 'urrrrgh' and regional accents issue but I'd say about 80% of the response I've had has been positive. I almost think it's works better in English than French because to name your child 'flower' would be a little odd.

meditrina Thu 06-Oct-11 19:55:44

Fleur in the Forsyte Saga to me!

HP a more likely playground association.

It's not a name that does it for me, but there's nothing wrong with it.

MelinaM Thu 06-Oct-11 23:24:52

Reminds me of Forsyte toosmile

I love the name Fleur, if they can't pronounce it pack them off to elocutionwink

FreddieMercurysBolero Fri 07-Oct-11 00:00:07

I like it, but would be worried about the pronunciation. Flower is English does sound strange Dru6. We considered calling DS (if he was a gir) Blathinid, which is Irish for flower, and it's a pretty sound too. Flower is just not a pretty sound I think.

nooka Fri 07-Oct-11 04:55:02

I'm afriad I think it sounds quite unpleasant.

ShroudOfHamsters Fri 07-Oct-11 07:15:39

OP, my DH is Scottish.

Depends where she's from, but a kind of 'Flewur' sound is the most likely. The middle bit becoming really strongly pronounced as 'oo' or 'ew' rather than a soft 'eu'

Hmmm!

lateatwork Fri 07-Oct-11 14:28:43

hi... knew a fleur at school and no problems with pronunciation.

I would add though, in Australia it is a very popular brand of tampons. That may or may not bother you!!

rachel234 Fri 07-Oct-11 14:31:24

Depends on how it is pronounced - the French way is lovely but I'm not sure non-French speakers would cope.

MamaLazarou Fri 07-Oct-11 14:35:57

The trouble with Fleur is... it looks so pretty written down, but the pronunciation is a bit iffy. It sounds to me like the beginning of a name rather than the whole thing. I know a little 2-yr-old Fleur and she has real problems pronouncing it!

susiedaisy Fri 07-Oct-11 14:36:34

That would put me off a bit the tampon thing tbh

Mysecretumbrella Fri 07-Oct-11 15:36:51

Oh dear, hadn't heard of the tampon brand. I have a close friend who is an Aussie so I may sound her out... think that could be an issue.

Also have a 2 year old so I might get her view to test ease-of-pronunciation!

And I'm not sure I'm going to like my mil's "floo-er" pronunciation.

Not looking good, is it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now