Scottish boy's name suggestions please

(68 Posts)

My granny was from Shetland and has passed away now. She was very proud of her Shetland heritage and so is my mum. I'd like to give my eagerly anticipated son a Scottish middle name to honour his (rather diluted now!)background.

The first name we've chosen is Nathaniel and our last name starts with P. I asked my mum for family names and none of them were suitable.

I quite like Hamish.

Suggestions please, especially from Scottish ladies who know that the names are Scotch and not just 'Celtic'

Thanks a lot xx

I'd be tempted to get a decent map of he Isles and pick a suitable place name. My gran on my mums sides family came from that area though maybe it was Orkney and not shetland confused i'd need to go look it up again - Family names are Inkster, Marwick and Stark I think.

I think St Olaf is associated with shetland too.

Or you could go for something just normally scottish - a lot of Good suggestions so far. could also add Craig. Cairn and has Andrew been said?

Actually, Lerwick makes a not too bad name itself

Nathaniel Lerwick P..

mungotracy Wed 13-Mar-13 13:42:07

Alick

MorrisZapp Wed 13-Mar-13 13:44:05

Murray! (I have one).

Ian/ Iain is very user friendly too.

2littlemonkeysjumping Wed 13-Mar-13 13:57:53

I have a scrumptious little Ewan who is 1/2 Scottish... We spelt it the anglicised way as thought would be easier and more readily pronounceable in England! (Euan being more of a Scottish spelling I think)

I have an Archie, my Dad is Alistair, my Grandfather Douglas and two old 'loves' called Hamish & Magnus!

I think Magnus is my favourite, but solely because of name assocation - he was gorgeous!!

freerangeeggs Wed 13-Mar-13 22:17:25

My favourite Shetland name is Thorfinn.

williaminajetfighter Wed 13-Mar-13 23:22:09

Monroe!

Monroe! - as in Marilyn?

if you mean the hill, it's Munro grin

LineRunner Wed 13-Mar-13 23:34:43

Scott
Keir
Lindsay

BabyRoger Wed 13-Mar-13 23:36:44

As others have said, it's traditional in Scotland to give the baby the mother's maiden name as a middle name. My DS has my maiden name as his middle name.

You could use your granny's name as a middle name.

williaminajetfighter Fri 15-Mar-13 22:17:15

Sorry yes I meant Munro. Twas late when I posted.

ZaaZaaLabour Sat 16-Mar-13 02:31:50

Tait, Gray, Arcus.

expatinscotland Sat 16-Mar-13 02:38:24

Struan, I suggest Struan grin.

MostlyCake Fri 22-Mar-13 08:39:56

I grew up in Orkney - lots of Scandinavian names there like:

Sigurd
Thorfinn
Erland
Magnus

Shetland is even more Norse!

Mosman Fri 22-Mar-13 12:29:18

Alan
Alec
Craig

dancemom Fri 22-Mar-13 12:33:10

Seamus?

SnowLeopard27 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:42:11

Rory

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now