Just bought some fabric... Now need ideas about what to make

(14 Posts)
BeBesideTheSea Sun 09-Oct-16 20:00:33

I am pretty sure I am not the first person to have done this... grin

I have just bought 100x144cm cotton fabric printed with Tom and Jerry, as my DS (aged 7) is really into the cartoons and I can't find much related for Xmas.

So, any ideas what I could make for him with it. Ideally not a cushion.

scrappydappydoo Sun 09-Oct-16 20:01:46

What about one of those fabric noticeboards?

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 09-Oct-16 20:02:36

Would there be enough for a pair of pj's? Or maybe a light dressing gown?

Or, cover his headboard? Though that would be tricky to pull off on Christmas Eve grin

SpeckledyBanana Sun 09-Oct-16 20:03:52

I made DS a denim messenger bag lined with Avengers fabric. I am very proud of it and he showed the lining to the librarian each week for a month after he got it grin.

I used a no-pattern tutorial online, a bit of fusible fleece for structure, sone webbing for a handle and quick-release buckles.

Now making one for DH!

Strikingclock Sun 09-Oct-16 20:04:23

Lined drawstring bag for swimming or gym or toy storage?

SpeckledyBanana Sun 09-Oct-16 20:04:46

*some. Sorry, typo central tonight.

NightNightBadger19962 Sun 09-Oct-16 20:07:25

What about a hanging storage thing like this www.amazon.co.uk/Colorful-Hanging-Storage-Pocket-Organization/dp/B0087BODN4 or a padded noticeboard like this www.things-to-make-and-do.co.uk/fabric-and-sewing/fabric-notice-board/fabric-notice-board.html ?

ijustwannadance Sun 09-Oct-16 20:09:43

Beanbag?

FrancisCrawford Sun 09-Oct-16 20:12:24

Make him his own mini quilt to snuggle under on the sofa!

Get some contrasting material.

Cut the Tim and Jerry fabric into four pieces, and then cut five pieces of the other fabric into the same size. Stitch them together into a checkerboard pattern. Start off with two pieces of fabric, stitch them together and then add the third. Repeat this with the other two rows and then sew all three together.

Finally, back with some fleece and bind the edges.

BeBesideTheSea Sun 09-Oct-16 20:28:15

You are all amazing. Thank you. He has to have a specific bag for school, so that is out. I am leaning towards the sofa quilt at the moment, but drawstring bag and noticeboard also contenders. (might need to get more fabric...)

FrancisCrawford Sun 09-Oct-16 20:35:08

Bebeside - if you could get more fabric it would make the quilt easier because you could do squares.

If you google nine patch quilt you'll see what I mean.

Happy for you to pm me if you'd like any help.

MrsHiddleston Sun 09-Oct-16 20:38:26

Not helping on the making something front but my DS also loves Tom and Jerry. M&S have Tom and Jerry pyjamas in. We've bought and put away fro xmas eve.

BeBesideTheSea Sun 09-Oct-16 20:50:08

Thanks MrsH. Pjs bought!

I may take you up on your kind offer FrancisC once I have seen if I can get more fabric.

Strikingclock Sun 09-Oct-16 21:38:39

OP, I can really recommend this link if you go for the lined draw-string bag option (you would want to make a larger size obviously!). Takes a little longer but is really strong because there is no bottom seam. I made one for my daughter's pe kit and it lasted for years and years and is still going as a laundry bag!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now