Can you dye small amounts of cotton trim, easily?

(16 Posts)
Katymac Thu 02-Jun-16 10:42:05

Rather than the whole washing machine - dylon thing?

I have some cream cotton lace & I want it to be black

Katymac Thu 02-Jun-16 18:11:40

bump

Katymac Fri 03-Jun-16 07:35:25

bump

Katymac Sat 04-Jun-16 21:29:45

I bought a dylon sachet - but this seems a very expensive way of dying small bits

I wonder if I'd be better off buying a larger pack and dividing it up - I wonder if dye is light/air sensitive?

Tinklypoo Sat 04-Jun-16 21:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oakmaiden Sat 04-Jun-16 21:37:50

They probably used polyester thread on the cotton dress.

This is the main problem - dyes take differently to different materials - something that is made from more than one substance may dye unevenly.

As for just dying a small amount of material - there are liquid dyes you can try which you just use as much as you need. It might be cheaper (and more effective) to just buy black lace, though...

Katymac Sat 04-Jun-16 21:43:49

Yes but it's about 6 inches deep - that costs a lot!!
I'm fairly sure it's all cotton....I'll soon know!!

Liquid dye - hmm must investigate!! Thank you

Are there any issues with using cotton thread on a polyester fabric? I have been sewing with some & it's lovely

Katymac Sat 04-Jun-16 22:24:06

2 of my pieces dyed & 1 didn't - so I need to look at my thread identification I guess

The 2 that worked are lovely

Oakmaiden Sun 05-Jun-16 21:32:50

You can try the other piece with a different dye.

I used Jacquard i-dye poly recently for a polyester skirt, and it came out beautifully.

(Excuse to show off the pretty dress I made AND my lovely daughter,all in one go! I dipped dyed the hem on thissmile

Oakmaiden Sun 05-Jun-16 21:34:14

re the cotton thread on poly fabric - I actually don't know. I have always been told "don't" but I have never been told why not. I wonder if there might be problems when washing it?

Katymac Sun 05-Jun-16 21:50:30

I wonder

Have you used stretch thread - i have been advised to fro sewing lycra rather than use zigzag

That dress & your DD look amazing - we should talk dance wear

Oakmaiden Sun 05-Jun-16 21:57:06

No - I don't think I ever have used a stretch thread. I use a stretch stitch (which is like lots of very close together slightly diagonal stitches very close together) on my sewing machine and polyester thread mostly. I have been using Gutterman Sew All, but it is pricey, and I have got Moon 120 for my overlocker which I really like, and I think can be used on sewing machines... so I am considering changing to Moon for my sewing machine too.

Oakmaiden Sun 05-Jun-16 21:58:43

And I LOVE talking dancewear smile

Katymac Sun 05-Jun-16 22:01:14

I've been given a brother overlocker & I have to strip & clean it then work out how to use it

Oakmaiden Sun 05-Jun-16 22:07:24

I had to send mine to the sewing machine hospital recently. It had lain unused for several years and had completely seized up. Apparently they require oiling. Oops. It has since then become my new best friend, though. It gobbles up seams. I mostly use my sewing machine for sewing elastic and attaching skirts now!

Katymac Sun 05-Jun-16 22:22:30

I am excited - I'll let you know how it goes - I'll just take it apart apply oil and put it together again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now