We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Cutting machine for vinyl

(5 Posts)
BooMeowson Sat 19-Oct-13 22:47:15

I have an idea for custom vinyl stickers and I was reminded of the Silhouette machine I've seen on US blogs... But it doesn't seem to be over here really.

What are the UK alternatives? I saw Cricut but a quick look shows the software programs looked a little confusing.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

TreaterAnita Sat 19-Oct-13 22:52:53

You can buy them in the UK, eg www.craftsulove.co.uk/silhouette.htm (not recommending site to buy from, but a few came up on google search).

Potterer Mon 21-Oct-13 02:47:36

My Silhouette was from craftsulove ^

They are the only authorised dealer in the UK.

I cut vinyl on mine all the time from words for labelling to tracing free clip art ie I did dinosaur footprints for my son's bedroom wall.

There are a load of video tutorials on youtube to help you learn. I've had my Silhouette 6 months. Love it.

I am better at tracing stuff than sketching within silhouette, ie I can't use inkscape as it's too complicated but I can find free "colouring page" images and save and trace those. Tracing is explained on youtube.

Good luck.

babe2be Mon 28-Oct-13 17:52:01

i've got a Silhouette and I love it, I just made a new baby poster and framed it using vinyl wording. Very similar to this it was perfect for doing it. You can get a much more intricate cut on vinyl than with paper/card.

Potterer Thu 31-Oct-13 08:58:54

I have labelled storage jars in the kitchen, it makes me happy grin

Has BooMeowson got lost in a sea of YouTube tutorials? smile

babe2be I often take inspiration from that website and others for my own stuff. I love my silhouette, make cards, wall decals etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now