Cotton batting question

(8 Posts)

This is my second attempt at posting this question, so it's shorter than the first.

I am making an oven glove from the Cath Kidston book "Sew". It says to use cotton batting, would it be ok to use man-made wadding as I already have this at home? Would wadding be as effective against heat?

PurpleFrog Tue 06-Nov-12 22:09:17

I would use cotton. The manmade batting will melt if it touches the grill elements etc., the cotton will just scorch. (I have made oven gloves in the past and managed to burn small holes round the edges!)

LatteLady Tue 06-Nov-12 22:16:17

You really do need to use cotton batting... if you touch hot pots and pans, your wadding will shrink and become hard, it will not act as an insulator.

Thanks for the advice. Is cotton wadding sold in fabric shops?

Zwitterion Wed 07-Nov-12 06:14:50

Yes to finding in fabric shops. You'll probably need to pre wash it to avoid shrinkage when you wash the mitt later on.

You can also get a wadding called Insul Bright, which can be used for oven gloves. It's insulated.

Thanks Craftycloth, but I bought the wadding at the weekend.

HappyTurquoise Sat 17-Nov-12 22:09:34

You can also get special batting which reflects heat, and is much better than the usual cotton batting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now