How did you decide between Panorama, Harmony or SAFE NIPT tests?(2 Posts)
Just that really. In my local area they only offer the Harmony test, but I can travel to London if necessary. This indicates that SAFE is the one to go for, but it seems to be the hardest test to find: alexander-house.co.uk/index.php/down-s-syndrome-screening. Any advice or experiences would be really helpful, thanks in advance.
I'm 38 and unexpectantly got pregnant. I lived abroad for 10 years and there NIPT is normal for over 35's.
I took I the harmony test at 11 weeks 2 days. 5 working days later I was told there was no result due to low fetal fraction DNA (3.5%) with no explanation as to why this could be only that it wasn't common as only 2% of people get no result. Naturally I was upset, stressed and worried. They said they'd test the 2nd sample they took and I must wait another 5-7 working days. I waited 7 days to be told again not enough DNA.
I then had another blood sample drawn (2 tubes). Another 7 days later I was told there was no result but this time due to the quality of the blood and they'd retest the 2nd tube and another 5 working days later I was told there's no result. I was in tears.
During this time I got a low risk result (1 in 6000) from the combined test. Yet this didn't put my mind at ease as I know it's not as accurate but I really wanted to avoid an amnio.
I received a refund of my harmony test but what I really wanted was a result. All the waiting and stress and upset in between test results was painful. Having said this I've friends who got a result first time with Harmony.
I decided to do the Iona / Safe NIPT as a last attempt. I told the provider I had 4 inconclusive / no results with the Harmony test. They said that the testing process is different and less DNA fraction. I waited 7 working days as they had a problem in the lab (yes how lucky can you be) however they gave me a low risk result ( 1 in 50,000 for all 3) with the first blood sample which was taken just 2 days after the 2nd Harmony test blood draw so wouldn't of been much difference in the DNA levels. Luckily they still had my blood sample from the combined test. I paid £300 for this test. It wasn't refundable if no result unlike the Harmony yet by this point I wasn't considering too much the money.
I've just had my 20 week scan and he's very active and everything looks okay but I was told 50% of babies with Downs have normal scans so whilst it's a very good sign it's not a guarantee. I can't say that I'm 100% relaxed because of those Harmony tests. latest stats say 13.8% of mothers with no result go on to have babies with chromosome abnormalities so that's in the back of my mind however the combined test and Iona /Safe test gave a low risk result so I'm trying to focus on that.
I'm someone with a few auto-immune conditions. I wonder if that had any influence on the inconclusive results. Basically there's not enough research available yet so there's little understanding. Yet I'm in the unlucky 2% so I'm sure you and others reading this will be fine but from my experience I wish I had never taken the Harmony test and only the Iona as I would of avoided a lot of stress and upset and have no lingering doubt throughout the rest of my pregnancy.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.