Harmony prenatal test - anyone know about it

(818 Posts)
RTchoke Mon 29-Oct-12 05:41:25

today I am having a new kind of prenatal test called Harmony. It's non-invasive and seems to just be a new kind of blood test plus the regular nuchal scan but it's much more accurate than the traditional nuchal blood test. Apparently it's nearly as accurate as a CVS but without any risk.

I'm the only person I know who is having this test and nobody else seems to have heard of it let alone have been offered it. I just wondered if others have and knowledge of it and how accurate it is.

BadMissM Thu 20-Dec-12 18:09:14

Oh * Lily* that's great! I know what you mean though. I'm 45 so for me this is last chance time....

pyjamas have the same problem, am 3 hours by train+ from London....so hope I don't have to reschedule anything....

ArtigeneAuberchoke Fri 21-Dec-12 07:29:40

Lily - I've never heard of such a low risk score, that is amazing. Good luck at the FMC today.

Pyjamas - my Harmony result came back about 6 days early, the FMC called and told me the results but didn't ask me to bring my appointment forward. I found out the gender with than at 12 weeks with both my girls and this time they said it's a boy! Over never been offered a consultation with the Prof but then I had Harmony before they charged for it so maybe the Prof is part of what you pay for. The other consultants were so experienced and knowledgeable that I never thought to ask for the Prof.

9 days until our anomaly scan. I'm still nervous and haunted by our original 1:10 result.

pyjamas2 Fri 21-Dec-12 13:14:06

Thanks ARtigene what were your results on harmony? Are you having the anomaly at fmc too? I wish my results would come in early but with Xmas and new year they might not. I guess I'll try and forget about it now but won't be able to!
Let us know how anomaly goes x

BadMissM Fri 21-Dec-12 18:21:14

How did it go lily? Hope all went well!

lily06 Sun 23-Dec-12 18:52:21

It all went fine, thanks for asking, and thanks for the good luck wishes too.

They didn't give me a combined risk, but the harmony came back low risk (<1:10,000) for all three trisomies and the scan didn't show any of the other markers and the sonographer seemed happy with everything that she could see.

For those that were asking, it was only 11 days since the harmony blood test, and though they were careful to say when I booked the second appt for less than 14 days away that the results might not have been back in time, obviously they were, so hope that sets minds at rest. They did say that if the results hadn't been in they would still have scanned and done results based on other bloods and phoned when the harmony result came in.

The clinic was lovely again, so helpful and thorough. I wish I was going back for my 20 week scan too, but out of the question due to the distance and cost of train fares etc. I think if I had a problem though I would definately pay the extra and go there for a second opinion. Their machines and their expertise are far superior to our local hospital.

They didn't mention gender, and as it turns out, DH has said he doesn't want us to know anyway! I'm a bit disappointed as I feel it would help me bond, but in a way he's probably right that it will be nice to have a surprise and might help me stop planning everything down to the very last detail.

We still haven't told anyone yet, it doesn't feel real to me and I want time for it to sink in a bit I think.

BadMissM are you the next of us here to go for an appt there?

BadMissM Sun 23-Dec-12 19:06:51

Hi Lily It does sound fantastic. I'm so glad it all went well for you, and I bet you are feeling relieved!!! I wish I could go there for the 20 week as well, but like yourself am held back by distance and train fares.... but again, like you, think I would probably go back if had a problem...

I think I am the next one up, am there on the 31st along with Artigene. Then am back on the 14th for results and Nuchal Scan. Luckily, on the 14th my BF who lives in London is coming with me (mainly because she's really curious to see scan...) but at least it means I'm not having to go by myself (as DH at work and stupid train fares mean too expensive for both of us to go...)

Oh gosh, can't wait to know gender....I would be too excited to keep that to myself. I couldn't prevent myself planning either!

iclaudius Sun 23-Dec-12 21:13:13

Do you HAVE to actually go there for the bloods - at my ( northern) nuchal place they allow me to post the bloods to them?

BadMissM Mon 24-Dec-12 18:48:48

I don't know iclaudius . I'm in the north as well and couldn't find anywhere to do it which is why I'm going to FMC...

pyjamas2 Tue 25-Dec-12 20:54:36

Glad it went well lily

I'm going back on 2 jan for second part of harmony

Had nuchal yesterday on NHS don't have blood results yet but they said nuchal measurement was 1.3 mm and crl 50 mm. Hope this is ok?

I didn't realise the harmony gave you a number I thought it was either positive or negative.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas x

BadMissM Wed 26-Dec-12 22:09:30

pyjamas Good Luck!

pyjamas2 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:17:30

Hi got harmony results today less than 1 in 10000 so I guess that is good!

holldoll Mon 31-Dec-12 14:39:48

Hi all, I'm due the first part of harmony on the 3rd jan. wanted some advice about whether you guys have also had an nhs nuchal scan too? I know that FMC is cutting edge but I guess I'm just a bit worried because its not nhs! Silly as I know the prof there is based at Kings College.
Thanks for any reassurance and its great to hear all the positive news on here

ArtigeneAuberchoke Mon 31-Dec-12 14:58:24

Hi All

Went to the FMC today for 20 week scan. Before the start I explained to the doc that I had never been able to relax because although I wanted to trust the Harmony result I have been unable to forget the NHS combined 1:10 result. The doc was amazing. She said that for Downs Professor Nicolaides believes a false negative is impossible and therefore she could basically guarantee our baby doesn't have Downs.

She then did a very detailed 45 minute scan and checked everything. The baby's heart looked great and there were no soft markers for chromosomal abnormalities. She advised us to utterly relax and have confidence that this baby is developing normally. I felt so reassured and I feel I understand Harmony a lot better. She said there is no danger Harmony could gave been assessing my DNA or a previous child's DNA, those are rumours I'd heard and she utterly and convincingly rejected them.

Good luck everyone. BadMissM I hope your FMC visit went well.

ArtigeneAuberchoke Mon 31-Dec-12 15:04:05

Sorry Holl, I forgot to answer you. The FMC scans are better than most NHS scans. They are carried out by very experienced doctors with state of the art machines. As you say Prof N runs the unit at Kings and many FMC sonographers work in the NHS too. I would not get an NHS scan as well, I did and I regretted it as the NHS scan gave very different results which terrified me. When I asked the NHS consultant to explain the difference in the NHS combined result and the FMC's he basically said the FMC was the best there is, so my NHS consultant clearly rated them.

holldoll Mon 31-Dec-12 15:21:00

Thanks Arti, that's very reassuring. Congratulations on your results too. That must be a weight off your mind!
I think I will cancel the nhs scan. Best wishes for the rest of the pregnancy

BadMissM Mon 31-Dec-12 22:49:45

artigene Yep, was there today as well.. everything went well, had the initial scan and they took the bloods for the Harmony Test. Long day, but worth it, they were really nice, and really professional....

Baby developing according to plan, everything in the right place and at the right time....now just have to see what happens with the bloods....

Nicponty Tue 01-Jan-13 18:09:11

Hi,
I'm going for the harmony test tomorrow and thought I'd post because I'm having my test in Cardiff. The Spire Cardiff Hospital have only just started offering this test and is the first place outside London to do so. Just posting this so that anyone who lives nearer Cardiff and wants this test is aware of this.

BadMissM Wed 02-Jan-13 00:15:07

Nicponty Wish I'd known that, was a bit closer!

pyjamas2 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:26:31

Went in today for nuchal and results of harmony, less than 1 in 10000 but did not have a good experience. I asked the gender as I really wanted a girl and the first dr said it looks like a girl, then after waiting nearly an hour on the couch for the prof he came in for less than 2 mins and said oh you'd like a girl? I said yes, and he said well you'll have to cut off the penis then! I was really upset and shocked by this and wasn't sure if it was a joke but apparently not. He then left. I still can't believe what happened and wish I had never been told like that.

BadMissM Thu 03-Jan-13 13:21:10

Sorry to hear that, Pyjamas. I'm back for that next Monday myself. I kind of want to know the sex, but above all, want to know that the baby's actually alright more than anything...

Dexidoo Fri 04-Jan-13 07:32:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dexidoo Fri 04-Jan-13 11:29:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BadMissM Fri 04-Jan-13 17:18:55

Waaaaaaah! £750! I've paid the £180 like you have dexidoo !!! shock

How did your results go BadMissM? Hope ok?!
I have to admit I ended up paying £580 for my Harmony test at FMC. Haven't told DH as he would go mad! Was a bit annoyed about that as I wouldn't have gone for it if I'd have known it would be that much, or I would have at least waited until I's got my combined test results first to see if my risk was high. Basically they said that the baby needed to be between very specific measurements (approx 10-11 weeks) in order to qualify for the £180 'deal' (not sure why). And despite my earlier 7 week scan and date of conception meaning I thought I was definitely in that range, they said I was measuring 11+2 when I went in so didn't qualify. hmm They didn't ask me if I wanted to go for the test despite this and didn't give me an option to back out so it was all a bit awkward really. It was great to see the baby on the scan (and the loos were very posh!) but I can't help but feel a bit cheated. Keep thinking what else I could have done with the money. Thought I would post this in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position.

BadMissM Sat 05-Jan-13 12:53:20

Yikes I had to check and check and check again..they did warn me in advance that I had to be within the parameters.... Haven't had the results yet. I have to go back on the 14th for the results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now