Order, Order.. Calling the AIBU mumsnet Jury to Court! Who's being unreasonable?

(87 Posts)
Nahui Wed 24-Jun-09 18:43:11

To explain the situation, been talking to a friend on and off all afternoon about something and we're not quite sure if this is ok or not, so i thought i'd ask you lovely lot grin

Friend has lovely DH, and three kids aged 14, 3 and 5 months.

Last night she had to take the 14yo out after she'd put the other two to bed and left DH in charge.

As she pulled up at home and parked on the drive she caught her DH coming out of the corner shop opposite with a pint of milk in one hand and the baby monitor in the other.

She is, i think, understandably a little upset and angry with him, but he cant see what the problem is.. they were asleep, he had the monitor and the shop is literally right opposite their house.. the same distance as the length of their back-garden which they both potter around in when the kids are in bed without a second thought.

I think they've hit an impasse and i'm not sure who to 'side with'.. i think i'd be annoyed if it were me, but i can also see his arguement.

So.. who's being unreasonable? Dad for popping to the shop with baby monitor for 5 minutes, or my friend for still being annoyed 20hours later?

kslatts Thu 25-Jun-09 08:03:03

I think she is being unreasonable.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Thu 25-Jun-09 08:11:17

ah, but none of you have picked up on the fact that she, while coming back from dropping off the DD1, could have come kareering around the corner in the car, plowed into the DH with the car, THENgone thru the front of the shop......

THEN where would they behmm??

SIBU however......we have a shop at the very end of our road, about 100yrds away, whenever we have been in hospital my DH has had to make the milk dash once the children are in bed occasionally, especially if I have been admitted in an emergency and so not had time to plan for such contingency. so far the gremlins have not gotten at the children.............((I thinkhmm)).

seeker Thu 25-Jun-09 08:46:44

It's also interesting that people think that, however irrational her worries are, he should promise not to do something quite sensible in order to appease her.

I wonder if it would work the other way round, that is, if it was the mother who popped across the road and the dad who was kicking off about it. Or would people be saying "Ignore him, he is an ar*e - what does he know?'

Swedes Thu 25-Jun-09 09:22:06

I always like Seeker's posts on matters concerning parents with an over-heightened sense of danger.

MmeLindt Thu 25-Jun-09 09:36:26

DH got on the wrong bus a month ago and I had to go out and pick him up. It was the most worrying 10 mins of my life, but there was no ohter way of getting the idiot home at 11.30pm.

I was furious and told him that if he did it again I would make him walk home (about an hours walk). But I did not hold a grudge, especially as he was most apologetic and promised never to do it again.

In this case, he was across the road, in view of the house and he was getting pint of milk, not doing a weekly shop.

SIBU

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Thu 25-Jun-09 09:59:03

I agree with seeker - he has obviously promised not to do it again just for a quiet life.

clemette Thu 25-Jun-09 10:08:11

I would do it. If we had a shop across the road from us, and they sold chocolate and DH was out, I might consider that to be an emergency...

mayorquimby Thu 25-Jun-09 10:25:40

sibu, he popped over to the shop.no real danger there.

also don't get the attitude of "well if it upsets her so much he shouldn't do it again" that seems to pop up time and again on here to sensible things.

Another vote here to say she IBU, for all the reasons above. We have a shop right across the road too, I would and have popped over there (after double-checking I have the key and monitor), and honestly don't see why it is any more risky than being in the house or garden and possibly having an accident which then nobody would know about.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Thu 25-Jun-09 12:09:43

I think that what he did was absolutely fine.

dollius Thu 25-Jun-09 12:13:05

I would do this, definitely, so would DH - neither of us would think anything of it. He hasn't done anything wrong and she is BU.

I wouldn't do what he did, but I don't know why.
DH probably would if we had a shop that close, and so if he did it, I would be annoyed but then realise I couldn't really explain why, so would realise IWBU to be annoyed (I hope )
I think it's a primitive thing about being on your own land - feels much safer somehow even though I'm sure it's not. I suppose people have measures in place to stop other people encroaching on their own space - when you leave that area you mingle with strange people, and it's people, not baths, stairs or toasters that we really fear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now