to farking detest that hideous sexist sainsburys advert?

(253 Posts)
freespiritfreedom Fri 10-Oct-08 10:19:33

is that all woman have to look forward to, working in saainsburys?
and its the woman that is doing everything for the family.
angry

skyatnight Fri 10-Oct-08 11:18:29

No, she doesn't hate her mum. She's sweet and humble and cheerful and grateful caring and giving... Just like Sainsbos.

TinkerBellesMum Fri 10-Oct-08 11:23:21

I think you're right, it is her brother.

I don't like these adverts either, if it was an unknown (either an actress or real person) you could accept that they really had spoken to a new member of staff and it would be a nice advert. I always thought Jamie was really picking up a mother in the shop and taking her home to cook, obviously not.

Lurkinaround Fri 10-Oct-08 11:38:25

Just done a bit of googling to find ad with brother in but found another one featuring Sainsbo's own tomato ketchup and yes, the dad is in that one.

I should be hoovering and stuff but researching Sainsbo ads just has to take priority I'm afraid.

She quite clearly hates her mother

redclover79 Fri 10-Oct-08 11:43:10

That ad grates on me too! As if anyone gets to stand around prettying up the leaflet stands all the time, she should be stuck on the till and spoken down to so it's a little more realistic...
<bitter at maternity leave ending soon and going back to My Shitty Job>

Yeni Fri 10-Oct-08 11:49:57

I love the way the cream cheese advert masquerades as an advert for Sainsbury's own brand while subtly implying you should only buy branded goods or spend your life living in fear of being found out by your scary mother for buying cheaper cheese.

isgrassgreener Fri 10-Oct-08 11:53:24

Oh so mean and bitchy to say she must be a crap actress, we are hardly going to believe Nicole Kidman buying her stuff in Sainsburys are we.

Agree the ads are a bit sick making but the script is not the fault of the actors in it.

It is very hard for women actors once they get past 30/35, I'm sure she is very happy to get a run of ads to secure her financial future.

melpomene Fri 10-Oct-08 13:56:33

If you think the Sainsbury's ad is sexist, just wait til you see this ad for Trident Insurance hmm

rosmerta Fri 10-Oct-08 14:31:32

Is the Trident one a p*take? Can't believe someone thought that would be a good idea hmm

The Sainsbury's ones never used to bother me but now they are really irritating! I just can't seem to turn on the tv without JO popping up somewhere

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 14:42:33

Dear God. Just seen the Trident one. Am Never Ever buying their insurance. Are only men or gay women with very high boredom thresholds expected to buy insurance?

skyatnight Fri 10-Oct-08 14:43:14

Er, yes, I think that advert is aimed at men!
And the ladees featured in it are very, um, decorative and bouncy.

Of course these ladees have nothing whatsoever to do with insurance (and I don't see in what way it would encourage you to buy insurance (unless there is a danger of being hit by a nubile woman on a pogo stick?)) but, Trident are right, in that they do make a change from parrots and nodding dogs and elephants and Michael Winner and...etc., and maybe men don't mind being patronised as being sex-crazed morons.

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 14:46:04

At least the dog is assumed to have sufficient intelligence to speak. So it's either animals or bouncing women? God, even Pot Noodle came up with half-decent adverts for a shit product.

skyatnight Fri 10-Oct-08 15:36:42

Very true.

I can't think of any interesting insurance adverts. It's not an interesting product unless you need to claim. There's that Zurich 'change happens' one with the music... Zurich only bother with a good advert because their product is pitched as a quality one (expensive) whereas many others compete on price and so have cheapo adverts.

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 15:42:08

Message withdrawn

mawbroon Fri 10-Oct-08 15:49:32

Definitely know that woman's face. Was it Corrie? Who did she play?

I have almost stopped watching tv. that is one way not to get irritated by ads! smile

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 15:52:21

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 15:53:40

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 15:54:00

Message withdrawn

Liffey Fri 10-Oct-08 15:54:25

Yes, you're right, it is kind of depressing and sexist.

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 15:55:30

Riven, did you ask him if they wanted to lose the custom of 50% of the population (and aren't women generally a better insurance risk anyway)? Seems rather foolish in the current climate.

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 15:59:42

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 10-Oct-08 16:00:09

Message withdrawn

Habbibu Fri 10-Oct-08 16:09:34

Good God.

TinkerBellesMum Fri 10-Oct-08 16:39:03

Did you ask him if there is a female version with scantily glad men jiggling their bits around?

ehoward Fri 10-Oct-08 16:39:08

just call Trident told them the advert was brilliant wish I had a body like those girls!!!!!!All my girl friends love it, so does my mum think anyone knocking the add must be sad and very lonely.

SmugColditz Fri 10-Oct-08 16:41:55

Those 'white diamond and lotus flower' things make me want to scream, WHAT DOES A WHITE DIAMOND SMELL LIKE, HUH? HUH?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now