how long do you leave it till you throw out an ex's belongings left at you house

(22 Posts)
Ldnmum2015 Sat 22-Oct-16 12:28:53

When I broke up with my ex, it was a bit nasty as he had been cheating, anyway he left some of his stuff in my house, like clothes, tools, and bits of personal stuff. As he had left me to start a new life etc and he'd made it clear he had left, I waited a few months, then, so I could make a new start, I rounded everything up into bin bags and threw everything out. 2 years on they've now split, and he actually sent me a text saying did I still have some of his crap. I haven't answered as to be frank I don't want him to know that this is still my number and also thinking what a cheek, but also at what time scale is it considered acceptable to chuck an ex's stuff away.

Ldnmum2015 Sat 22-Oct-16 12:33:15

In the txt he was hinting that some of his cds and albums were worth money, but at the time I blindly through out his stuff, I needed the space back in my home, and I had to make a new start, I haven't answered yet anyway

NoIsAnAnswer Sat 22-Oct-16 12:33:25

Immediately in your case

FlabulousChic Sat 22-Oct-16 12:34:49

Ignore the text. If they were worth anything he would have taken them. You aren't free storage.

FlabulousChic Sat 22-Oct-16 12:35:17

Two years Jesus is he a twat

RaeSkywalker Sat 22-Oct-16 12:38:29

Don't give it a second thought. If he was that bothered, he would've asked for them sooner.

QueenLizIII Sat 22-Oct-16 12:40:20

2 years.....

Jesus.

Cant believe he still expected you to have it. Don't dignify with an answer. Just block him.

OohMrDarcy Sat 22-Oct-16 12:40:51

Think I gave my ExH 2 weeks in a similar situation. I moved to a larger rented house with the DC a month or so after and anything remaining of his was binned.

TippiNoodlegruder Sat 22-Oct-16 12:41:31

Sounds like he's looking for an "in". He's split up with the OW and is looking for a shag, "I left some stuff there" is an excuse to see you and try to wheedle his way back in.

An ex of mine did this, and I let him, but it wasn't after two years apart, and we were only teenagers at the time!

Tell him you chucked it, then block him. Or continue to ignore it.

gunting Sat 22-Oct-16 12:41:59

2 years?? confused

In a similar situation, I gave my ex a month before I sold his crap on eBay.

SaucyJack Sat 22-Oct-16 12:43:13

What Tippi ^ said.

Block his number unless you're a glutton for punishment.

KateLivesInEngland Sat 22-Oct-16 12:43:20

I was thinking exact same as above. He's looking for an excuse to resume contact. If his stuff was worth money he'd have got it at the time, regardless of Ow. Ignore him.

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 22-Oct-16 12:45:37

The correct answer is 30 seconds while you unroll a bin bag.

RockyBird Sat 22-Oct-16 12:46:00

I sold my cheating exes stuff and put all the cash on a horse after a tip from a work colleague who liked to bet.

The horse came in at 7/1 grin

ImissGrannyW Sat 22-Oct-16 12:48:09

To answer your question, I think it's polite to contact someone and say 'you've left xxx here, I'll give you 2 weeks [or whatever works for you] to pick it up, or else I'll bin it' and maybe add 'let me know when you're coming and I'll leave it out for you'.

In your case, you are DNBU and agree with PPs who think he might be trying to re-kindle.

Arfarfanarf Sat 22-Oct-16 13:55:36

I think after two years you could argue he abandoned them.

I agree that what you are meant to do is contact them (if you have a means to do so) and give them a date by which they must collect their stuff or it will be disposed of.

I think you should just ignore him.

selfishcrab Sat 22-Oct-16 14:27:11

It took as long as it takes to and put into bin bags the second he left to live with OW.
He was not taking up space in my house and it was my house!

Hidingtonothing Sat 22-Oct-16 14:41:48

I agree with pp's about his motive for contacting you, I would ignore too but if he won't give up tell him you've chucked it all and if he tries to moan about it being worth any money tell him anything he made off it he would've owed to you for storage anyway!

BicycleRider Sat 22-Oct-16 14:44:17

Lol at CDs being worth anything

John4703 Sat 22-Oct-16 14:49:56

I'd ignore the text so he will think you have a new number and leave you alone.
YANBU to chuck his stuff out 10 seconds after he left to be with another woman.

TheTroutofNoCraic Sat 22-Oct-16 14:54:02

Lol at CDs being worth anything

This!

Ldnmum2015 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:37:19

Thanks I know it sounds daft, but just needed a bit of confirmation that I hadn't done the wrong thing, I cant block his number on my handset, but have just saved it under 'ppi don't answer', I was a
bit taken a back at, my neighbour who has a very deep macho voice said if he calls just hand the phone to him, and he will speak to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now