To ask for recommendations of independent coffee shops in Newcastle?

(25 Posts)
whatishistory Thu 08-Sep-16 09:00:31

I will start by saying I have a bit of a coffee addiction....
I have some work to do today while in Newcastle. I like to work in coffee shops. I can cope with Caffe Nero, but much prefer to try independent places. However, you can never be sure of the quality of the coffee (I admit to being a coffee snob). Does anyone have recommendations?

I lived in Newcastle for 11 years so know the city well, but left in 2004. I know there are some nice places in Jesmomd, but will be staying in the centre.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:01:36

I was going to suggest cage Nero in Fenwick basement! Caramel shortbread is delicious!

LivinOnAChair Thu 08-Sep-16 09:13:12

Olive and Bean near the Grainger market is lush. Also Flat Caps near the haymarket, quite small but brill. He has brewing choices and guest coffees!

MargotLovedTom Thu 08-Sep-16 09:17:13

Central Bean near Gallowgate. www.centralbean.co.uk/

PigInMuck86 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:29:19

Settle Down Cafe near Dance City. Just avert your eyes from the amazing cakes :-)

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 08-Sep-16 10:38:49

Rosie's in gosforth is lovely

Runningupthathill82 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:45:27

Blake's on Grey Street always used to be amazing, but I haven't been up for a couple of years.

whatishistory Thu 08-Sep-16 10:51:06

Many thanks! Flat Caps sounds interesting. Central bean, too.

happythankyoumoreplease Thu 08-Sep-16 10:51:53

Pink Lane Coffee on Pink Lane, near station pinklanecoffee.co.uk/#intro

Laneway & Co on High Bridge (just off Grey Street) www.facebook.com/lanewaycoffeeco/

Feebot2001 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:55:45

Flat Caps is lovely. Damn, going to have to pop in later now

Gatekeeper Thu 08-Sep-16 10:58:20

Flat Caps, no view though as its in a basement and you tend to be serenaded with whale music from the New Age shop upstairs 😁

whatishistory Thu 08-Sep-16 11:14:08

I have about 5 hours. I wonder how many coffee shops I can get to in that time grin

trashcanjunkie Thu 08-Sep-16 11:54:09

Ouseburn coffee company are incredible. They are the only independent company who roast their own beans. They started from scratch about five years ago and have a little seat outside their roasterie in the ouseburn valley and also have a shop called harvest in jesmond and a concession in fenwicks. I can't recommend them enough, their coffee is the best I've ever had and its run by twins from Newcastle

kungfupannda Thu 08-Sep-16 12:13:23

There used to be a lovely little Italian cafe/restaurant in the tiny side street just down from the theatre.

I left Newcastle many years ago, but it was still there a few years back when I was up visiting. Might be gone by now though.

Runningupthathill82 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:32:03

Kungfu - could you be thinking of Panis?
It's bloody incredible. I need to go back there like, now. starts looking up train tickets

paniscafe.co.uk

Southernc0mfortmirror Thu 08-Sep-16 12:33:22

I'd second pink lane. Have also heard good things about the bunker and flat caps.

toffeeboffin Thu 08-Sep-16 13:34:06

Now I want to go to Newcastle and snuggle up with a coffee! brew

whatishistory Thu 08-Sep-16 17:00:38

I tried Flat caps. Very good!
I have breakfast planned at the Olive and bean tomorrow. And breakfast on Saturday morning at Pink lane.
The after conference meal tomorrow night is at Panis.
grin

Runningupthathill82 Thu 08-Sep-16 17:20:43

Now that's some well-organised post conference dinner, OP!
I am so envious of your trip. Yum yum yum.

AllTheFluffyAnimals Thu 08-Sep-16 17:26:16

Is the settle down cafe still there? I used to love that place.

FlatWhiteToGo Thu 08-Sep-16 18:19:42

I'll third Pink Lane Coffee! Appreciate this may be a little late...

JulesJules Thu 08-Sep-16 18:27:22

Haha was coming on to recommend Pink Lane and Panis, also we love Quilliam Bros, Haymarket, next to the University. They do tea mainly (a million kinds) great lunches and cakes too.

PickAChew Thu 08-Sep-16 18:40:57

Taking notes. Spoilt for choice in Durham but can never find them in Newcastle.

I have a rather expensive occ habit.blush

dazzlingdeborahrose Thu 08-Sep-16 18:53:18

Kuppa coffee in st Mary's place is very good. Love flat caps. Olive and bean is good but can get very busy. Blakes on grey street is an oldie but goodie. Les Petit Choux in leazes place is excellent.

trashcanjunkie Thu 08-Sep-16 21:27:32

Yes the settle down is still there!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now