WIBU to chop this bed up (or would it all fall apart)?

(10 Posts)
bestofbothhovis Wed 31-Aug-16 20:50:53

I have this bed from IKEA. I hate it! The headboard is far too girly and chincy. And I really hate foot boards too but this was the cheapest bed I could find at the time.
So can I chop off the headboard and footboard? DP thinks the mattress would just fall off the bed all the time but I'm sure it won't.

LittleBearPad Wed 31-Aug-16 20:52:07

Surely if you take the headboard and footboard off the legs will lose their strength and the whole thing will collapse

Queenbean Wed 31-Aug-16 20:53:06

I have this bed too and am aghast at your comments!

Btw, whereabouts are you, because I have another ikea bed which is basically what you want but I'd love another one of these for my spare room.

Otherwise, you'll have to take a hacksaw to it and then file off the ends and paint over the top. Nothing to stop you but it won't ever get as good as a proper bed without that.

The mattress wouldn't fall off though, it has recessed sides

TheNoodlesIncident Wed 31-Aug-16 20:53:52

Take the headboard off (angle grinder should do it) and turn it round, so the footboard becomes the headboard...?

isthistoonosy Wed 31-Aug-16 20:54:18

Could you remove the head and foot boards and stand it on blocks of some kind?

bestofbothhovis Wed 31-Aug-16 20:54:24

Would it? If I chopped just above where the legs meet the base for the mattress would it still do it?
(Can you tell I was terrible at physics)

bestofbothhovis Wed 31-Aug-16 20:55:13

Noodles Okaay that actually makes a lot of sense!

Queenbean Wed 31-Aug-16 20:56:41

The whole thing definitely wouldn't fall apart if you took it off. The structure is held together by the solid white bit around the matteess

bestofbothhovis Wed 31-Aug-16 20:59:22

QueenBean I'm in West Midlands area

TeaRexit Wed 31-Aug-16 21:06:50

It should be ok - I think confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now