To not want to lend her money

(70 Posts)
ApproachingATunnel Wed 31-Aug-16 18:11:41

A neighbour who i would loosely call a friend asked to borrow £100. The background is she has 2 kids, and is moving and supposedly has a van coming to pick up heavy stuff tomorrow. Her partner is on the scene on and off and according to her does not contribute financially. She has in the past asked for childcare and but never offered to look after mine. I looked after her kids around 3 times. Once i was asked to look after them so that her DP can go play football on the weekend to which i said no and which pissed me off quite a bit as i work during the week and have no family to help out so it felt like she's taking the piss.

I could lend it to her but i'm resentful because she isnt really a friend and over the time i know her i felt she's always asking for things not giving much back.

Got a text saying she exhausted any other venues, noone else can help her so please could i lend the money. Talk about guilt tripping and pilling on the pressure. Said no, it's not a good month so i can't. She texted back asking if she could borrow till this friday.

It feels mean but WIBU to say no?

NatalieRushman Wed 31-Aug-16 18:15:21

Don't lend money. You just have to read all the threads on here to realise it's a terrible idea.

Perfectlypurple Wed 31-Aug-16 18:15:29

Stand your ground. Just say no, you don't have it.

Perfectlypurple Wed 31-Aug-16 18:16:15

Also if she has exhausted all other avenues then maybe she has form for borrowing money and not paying it back. Not saying that is the case but I wouldn't risk it.

00100001 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:16:44

Just say no? confused

AyeAmarok Wed 31-Aug-16 18:16:48

"No, sorry, I can't afford to lend it to you, even until Friday."

RuggerHug Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:01

Neighbour, moving, not really a friend. You will NEVER see that money again if you gave it to her. Just keep saying no.

Katedotness1963 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:07

Why can't people believe it when they're told you can't afford it? As if they change the goalposts and your purse suddenly prints out the needed cash. Do not feel badly for saying no.

Fluffyears Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:11

You'll not see a penny of that again. She is a user. No sorry I don't have it to spare.

jimbob1 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:24

Just say I am really sorry, I just don't have it to lend.

Blondieblondie Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:55

Nope. She's moving anyway, so you'll be neighbours no more and she sounds like the type you'll probably not hear much from once she is gone. No great loss.

00100001 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:18:00

She's got a moving van for £100? That seems very cheap.

Creampastry Wed 31-Aug-16 18:18:13

No way! You'll never get it back!

Arfarfanarf Wed 31-Aug-16 18:18:36

Moving where?

Only lend it if you're happy to never see it again and consider getting it back a bonus.

You could say no you dont lend people money or just no or you could say you did not have it to lend.

DartmoorDoughnut Wed 31-Aug-16 18:18:52

You've already said no you can't and she's asked you to borrow the money from somewhere for her?! What bloody cheek!

Just continue to say no, she'll be gone soon thankfully, cheeky mare!

rollonthesummer Wed 31-Aug-16 18:20:20

You've already said no-I don't understand why she is asking again!!

You will never see that money again! The fact that no one else will lend it to her speaks volumes.

Damselindestress Wed 31-Aug-16 18:21:35

YANBU. She has form for being a user and since she's moving you'd never see her or the money again. Just keep repeating that you can't afford it. On the plus side since she's moving soon you won't have to deal with her anymore.

qazxc Wed 31-Aug-16 18:23:45

Stick to your guns and continue saying no.

ConvincingLiar Wed 31-Aug-16 18:23:52

Would you like to give her £100 cash as a leaving gift? If not, stick with no.

Mummaaaaaah Wed 31-Aug-16 18:24:04

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Funnyface1 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:26:37

If you're willing to risk never having it repaid then you could consider it. Based on what you've said about her I would say no. She sounds grabby and a bit selfish and as she's moving away (from your immediate vicinity I presume) I wouldn't be too worried about pissing her off. Her costs are not your responsibility.

MamMamMam Wed 31-Aug-16 18:26:44

Tell her sorry but no. You would do anything to help her out. Shes been such a brilliant neighour, but you cant give what you don't have. Even if you have thousands under your mattress.

Shes moving. You wont see it again.

I wonder why no one else can helphmm

strongswans Wed 31-Aug-16 18:26:49

Just say no, not even till Friday, you don't have it. If you do give it to her you won't see it again!

Fluffyears Wed 31-Aug-16 18:31:16

You'll need to be another exhausted avenue, she should have budgeted better.

expatinscotland Wed 31-Aug-16 18:33:50

'Sorry, no. I don't have money to lend.'

Because you may as well throw £100 out a window. You will never see it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now