In my expectation of a longer lasting bread maker?

(24 Posts)
Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 07:42:10

After 4 years @ 3-4 loaves per week my Panasonic has died😢
Shouldn't it last longer than that😕??
I thought Panasonic were supposed to be the gold standard😒

SunnySomer Wed 24-Aug-16 07:44:46

YANBU.
I think they are, and I've had mine for 9 years with no issues yet. I'd be cross if I were you.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Aug-16 07:46:21

Email their customer services and voice your disappointment.

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 07:50:45

I should contact them shouldn't I!
Think I may have to buy a new one anyway, I can't face going back to commercially made bread and my handmade bread never turns out well😩

Penfold007 Wed 24-Aug-16 07:51:24

Your bread maker has produced approximately 800 loaves and given over 3000 hours of bread making in four years. That seems pretty good to me, surely a lesser model would have given up ages a go.

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 07:58:35

I see your point Pencils, its certainly not a tragically short lifespan for a domestic appliance
But I expected more
Should I replace with another Panasonic, or risk another brand?😟🙏

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 07:59:19

I meant Penfold !

StillDrSethHazlittMD Wed 24-Aug-16 08:02:38

My Panasonic is 6 years old. They are definitely far better than any other breadmaker. But I don't make 3-4 loaves per week. I tend to agree with Penfold. I might be a little disappointed but if you divide the cost of the breadmaker over around 800 loaves, even with the most expensive model on Amazon at the moment, it's around 2 p per loaf. I'd call that pretty good!

Wigeon Wed 24-Aug-16 08:06:51

My Panasonic has been going for about 8 years on 2-3 loaves a week. Still seems to be going strong. But 4 years on 3-4 loaves is pretty good value I reckon too.

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 08:08:29

Embarrassingly I live on my own and 3-4 large loaves a week is my personal bread consumption😯

EskSmith Wed 24-Aug-16 08:12:14

I'd contact them. My Panasonic is 9 years old and still going fine, 2-3 loaves per week. My paddle is scratched and I keep debating buying a replacement. I fear as soon as I do the machine will give up!

PitchFork Wed 24-Aug-16 08:14:09

yanbu
my unold lasted 10 years. for about the same amount of bread.
replaced it with a kitchen mashine and now bake in the oven.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Wed 24-Aug-16 08:14:15

Typo there, sorry. 20p a loaf.

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 08:22:59

I just don't feel as if I have much of a case, its only moderately disappointing, and it seems unlikely that I'd get much in the way of compensation
Perhaps a complementary box of yeast sachets but probably not a free replacement!

Penfold007 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:37:34

Contacting Panasonic customer services is a great idea, you got nothing to lose. I'm amazed by some of the posts above saying their bread makers have lasted 9+ years, maybe 4 isn't good enough.

DollyBarton Wed 24-Aug-16 08:42:30

I have mine 2 years. I hope it lasts a long time! It's one of the best kept secrets in the world. Why everyone doesn't have one I've no idea.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 24-Aug-16 08:43:53

i'd probably be a bit peeved, but then be quite excited about buying a new one...I like new things. <shallow>

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 08:53:22

I've ordered a new one and last night I made a spelt loaf to tide me over, its not just laziness is it...I mean surely it's more economical to just heat the bread maker, as compared to the oven with handmade bread?

ShteakandShpuds Wed 24-Aug-16 08:58:20

You can have my Panasonic as I rarely use it these days, probably once in the last year.
Have you tried making soda bread? It's so easy to make and you've got a fresh batch within an hour of getting your ingredients on the table. I just use a mix of plain flour and brown malted.
No waiting for it to prove or rise. It's yummy.

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 09:01:55

Very kind of you Shteak, but I already ordered a new one...you could sell yours?
I've never made soda bread!

Arrowfanatic Wed 24-Aug-16 09:03:08

I've had mine for coming up 11 years now and it's still going strong. Although I only use it to make the dough as I tend to make rolls and oven bake. Never really liked the loaves the bread maker did as the paddle left a gaping hole in the bottom.

PitchFork Wed 24-Aug-16 09:13:54

I use the small oven of my (standard) double oven and bake 2-3 loaves at the same time.

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 24-Aug-16 09:25:59

I would contact Panasonic- although I realise that you have ordered one. I recently contacted dualit about my blender stick breaking for a second time. The machine that drives various attachments still works and I'm just grumpy that the blender stick can't hack it. I was hoping they would sell me another stick but as its discontinued they offered me 40% on a new one- which I thought was generous. I haven't done it as I can't abide chucking stuff that still has a use.
I have a Panasonic bread maker which is two years old- and make a loaf every day- I hope it keeps going for a while! smile

Shiningexample Wed 24-Aug-16 09:47:56

My real problem is I feel bad about the waste, its a perfectly good appliance and probably has some fault in the computer part of it which ought to be fixable
but I want the luxury of nice bread and I want it yesterday😣

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now