To think girls shoes should be more practical.

(26 Posts)
Idontknowwhoiam Sun 24-Jul-16 20:15:12

My daughter is far from a girly girl.
She likes running about, climbing trees jumping in puddles and mud and generally having messy fun.
I cannot find any school shoes that don't have open tops.
They're all the typical little girl style of shoe with a strap across the top and an open part across the top of the foot.
It's so useless for just walking to school even if she doesn't jump in puddles.
By the time we walk to school in the rain her feet would be wet and she'd need a change of socks or tights.
My son does not have this problem, all boys school shoes are closed.
Do shoe manufacturers not realise that girls need shoes to keep their feet dry too?
It's so bloody annoying and if anyone has found any please let me know.
I did see some in m&s last year (a while after buying others, obviously!) But they don't have them this year sad

RufusTheReindeer Sun 24-Jul-16 20:19:34

Try startrite

Thats where dd gets hers

They look like brogues with a massive thick sole

Dixiechickonhols Sun 24-Jul-16 20:21:09

kickers good too

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 24-Jul-16 20:21:27

Why can't she wear "boys" shoes?

buffalogrumble Sun 24-Jul-16 20:21:48

I got dd a pair of ankle boots for the winter and spring, which were fine for rough and tumble playing

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 24-Jul-16 20:23:33

Angry angels-lovely chunky brogues

Kickers are Google too.

Hate the Mary Jane's here too

Dixiechickonhols Sun 24-Jul-16 20:23:52

clarks do the brogue type too, even in smaller sizes

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26109876

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 24-Jul-16 20:23:58

Good.

Ffs autocorrect

TheFallenMadonna Sun 24-Jul-16 20:24:54

DD, and most of her year in fact, wears brogues for school. DD's are Ricosta. Also in Clark's and Startrite though.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 24-Jul-16 20:26:05

I buy one of my dd's shoes from the boys section as she is very rough and tumble and needs something hard wearing.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 24-Jul-16 20:26:56

I havent been able to find brogues for younger girls only for older!

candykane25 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:26:59

Buy boys shoes.
My DD is nearly 3 and has a mix of boys and girls shoes. Marks and Spencer's boys shoes are pretty neutral whereas the girls are too girly. Boys shoes can be cheaper too.

Idontknowwhoiam Sun 24-Jul-16 20:29:28

Thanks for your replies, I'm glad it's not just me.
I'll have a look at the links and brands you've suggested and hopefully get some luck.
If I can't get them in her size yet I think I'll skip the whole 'school shoe' purchase and go straight for ankle boots this year!

Dixiechickonhols Sun 24-Jul-16 20:31:02

www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/girls-c23/school-shoes-c71/eleanor-girls-school-shoes-p24302/s344131?utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=VS+-+%28SC%29+Startrite&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=s1NOKDvwy|pcrid|112634262800|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|&gclid=Cj0KEQjwztG8BRCJgseTvZLctr8BEiQAA_kBD00Pjw563jZQT1QHhhhMKModd7QchqHL0QaEbHIanHoaAuTN8P8HAQ

These start at 11, recall my DD was an 11 when she started school in reception

Idontknowwhoiam Sun 24-Jul-16 20:31:06

She does like the patterns that are on girls shoes so not sure how she would take having boys shoes... I think I'm going to have to face a trip out shoe hunting with her gid help me

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 24-Jul-16 20:32:44

I thought exactly the same when shopping for DD's first pair of school shoes this time last year.

I did end up buying the type you describe though - DD just wears her wellies to walk to school in if it's raining!

imwithspud Sun 24-Jul-16 20:33:16

YANBU, it annoys me too. Like you said if they're walking to school and it's raining then their feet get wet. Dd1 is starting nursery school in September and I've already looked st shoes for her and nearly all of them are the same style, it's infuriating.

Will check out some of the links posted in this thread though.

SueGeneris Sun 24-Jul-16 20:35:53

My DD has these closed shoes from Marks:

www.marksandspencer.com/kids-freshfeet-coated-leather-sporty-school-trainers-with-silver-technology-and-scuff-resistant/p/p22449798?image=SD_04_T72_8625B_Y0_X_EC_0&color=BLACK&prevPage=plp

She is a size 12. I had the same problem as you trying to avoid Mary Janes. These are good - like the standard boys shoes but with a couple of details.

tootsietoo Sun 24-Jul-16 20:37:21

It's ridiculous. They are so flimsy compared to boys shoes. And of course my DDs won't wear boys shoes that are marketed at boys, they want the girls shoes marketed at girls.

DH did splash out on some DM lace up shoes for DD1 a couple of years ago and they were great. She refused to have a second pair though because she wanted the same shoes as everyone else.

SueGeneris Sun 24-Jul-16 20:38:06

The picture actually makes them look like they are open but the shoes have a tongue.

SueGeneris Sun 24-Jul-16 20:39:59

My other problem was that DD could not do laces so couldn't wear the lace up styles.

RueDeWakening Sun 24-Jul-16 20:43:40

We compromised and got Kickers tbar style for DD. She's going into year 5 and still wears them, she grows out of them rather than destroys them like she did every Clarkes pair we ever bought

Her school don't allow laces for kids who can't tie their own, but black trainers were allowed in reception so most wore those.

megletthesecond Sun 24-Jul-16 20:46:48

Yanbu. I emailed Clarkes to complain about the Mary Jane shoes for school. They didn't care, obviously.

7yo DD wears 'boys' school shoes now. And start rite tend to make a more sturdy girls shoe which she wore last year.

BackforGood Sun 24-Jul-16 20:55:16

My dds have chosen brogues, for years.
Very practical.

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Jul-16 20:56:53

DD starts school in Sept. She demolishes shoes as it is, and can't do laces yet either. Those M&S shoes look hopeful, but every single pair of shoes I have had from M&S has been terrible quality and has worn out very quickly (DD had some ankle boots (boys) where the stiching unraveled in a few weeks; got money back. DS had some school shoes which lasted hand a term; didn't get money back. I've got some adult brogues which are the thinnest leather and flimsiest soles ever).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now