To ask your advice about where to live in London?

(9 Posts)
SushiiiiiiMuj Tue 14-Jun-16 02:05:42

Moving to London for a job near Farringdon in a couple of months' time. Currently interested in either Kentish Town (can take train to Farringdon) or Highbury and Islington/Angel (thinking of walking to work?). Have a lot of friends dotted around London, mainly in the north which is why I think I'm going to stick around there. All advice welcomed and gratefully received!

Ladywithababy1 Tue 14-Jun-16 02:08:54

What's your budget for rent/purchase?

SushiiiiiiMuj Tue 14-Jun-16 03:07:51

Just renting for now but it will be about £650-800 pcm at very max. Going to go for a house or flatshare.

Have lived in London for a few years in the past and loathe the tube with a passion so ideally would like somewhere with lots to do in walking distance. Think this is why Kentish Town appeals so much - right next to Hampstead Heath with lots of things to do nearby. Somewhere with a "villagey" feel would be great!

albertcampionscat Tue 14-Jun-16 04:10:55

Would you consider cycling?

Ifailed Tue 14-Jun-16 05:21:54

for that budget you are only going to get a room in a larger rental, the nearer to the centre the smaller the room (think of Harry Potter's bedroom with the Dursley's). Farringdon has good rail links with S London, you may consider searching down that way as well. Cycling is an excellent option, saves money, pretty consistent commuting time and keeps you fit.

Ifailed Tue 14-Jun-16 05:25:34

PS. Zoopla tells me there are 98 1 bed flats across the whole of London at £800 pcm! You are definitely looking at a room in a house/flat-share.

Maybebabybee Tue 14-Jun-16 05:34:05

Assume it's a house share you're looking for?

I rented in Islington for a couple of years and I loved it there. Sad we had to leave but we were buying and couldn't afford it round there (who can?!).

I wouldn't cycle. Not unless you are a very experienced cyclist and road user. I'm amazed how often that advice gets trotted out on here. It's incredibly dangerous to cycle in London IMO.

Ladywithababy1 Tue 14-Jun-16 06:10:15

If you can push to £900pcm this looks nice
www.spareroom.mobi/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=5194540&mode=details&flatshare_type=offered&search_id=&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2Flondon%2Fhighbury&city_id=9&featured=&alert_id=&alert_type=&

SushiiiiiiMuj Tue 14-Jun-16 22:43:09

Thanks everyone. Sorry yes I definitely meant houseshare or flatshare - definitely sharing, under no illusion I will be able to rent on my own with my budget!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now