DS (13) had a blood test earlier; he now can't move his hand and it's bruised...

(9 Posts)
DSCannotMoveHisHand Sat 28-May-16 17:59:40

Hi, DS is 14. He had a blood test earlier - the lady tried his arm, but missed... Twice. I get it, it can be difficult, so she decided to try the hand, again there was a lot of wriggling and DS close to tears and she gets it. It's rather bruised, which I know can be normal, but he cannot move his hand?? He claims it feels like it's broken (obviously isn't) but is quite significant pain. It's not an emergency, so I'm not really sure what to do... Any ideas why he can't move it??

DSCannotMoveHisHand Sat 28-May-16 18:00:03

*14 - typo in the title

mogloveseggs Sat 28-May-16 18:00:40

Has she poked a muscle/tendon maybe?

ToxicBits Sat 28-May-16 18:03:03

Ring 111 for advice she may have nudged a nerve

Littleorangecat Sat 28-May-16 18:06:02

Hmmm blood tests in the hand do hurt more than in the arm. I've had lots but I've never felt like I can't move it. I would call non emergency number to ask.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 28-May-16 18:07:21

poor lad!

I had one once that came up like a beautiful black egg yolk under the skin, that looked dreadful for weeks!

Maybe a warm compress to ease it a bit?

Sellingyesterdaysnews Sat 28-May-16 18:08:15

Check whether he can't move it because of pain / discomfort or because it's literally paralysed and floppy.

whatsnewsmellycat Sat 28-May-16 18:11:13

I've had similar this week, student midwife who didn't have a clue what she was doing. Asked my DM who has worked in healthcare for the majority of her life and she's said its quite common especially in the hand. I'd be a bit more concerned about struggling to move it though. Arnica cream might help.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 28-May-16 18:13:15

Its possible he's developed a haemotoma if she wiggled it about and they can be extremely painful. A warm compress will help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now