To ask what you wear under a white/sheer top (for work)?

(14 Posts)
wardrobeMeltdown Wed 11-May-16 19:38:55

I struggle to find suitable underwear for wearing under hip-length white/cream or sheer tops for work.

My ideal would be a plain simple white/cream camisole with a straight-ish top - no lace or bows - and made out of fabric that doesn't create static. It should be loose fitting rather than lump-hugging figure-hugging, and cool next to the skin so I can wear it on hot days. It shouldn't be so long that it hangs below a hip-length top (I don't do smock-length tops), and I definitely don't want to have to tuck it in. It should be opaque enough to hide a white bra (I don't do "secret support").

I've tried all the obvious retailers, but haven't found the perfect thing yet. M&S vests all seem so figure-hugging, too long and made of fabric designed to keep you warm, and their camisoles are way too lacy.

Surely a plain, cool cami must exist somewhere? What do the rest of you wear under hip-length summer tops?

Junosmum Wed 11-May-16 19:40:45

I wear a white bra and then a cheap Cami/ vest top. But one of those skin tight ones as I find I get sweatier in loose ones.

I wear a cotton H&M cami but it is v figure hugging. Cotton though, so fine on all but the hottest of days.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Wed 11-May-16 19:43:18

I always wear a nude bra under white shirts because you can't see it at all and I find white stands out.

I get what you have described in a cami from river island. See if any of these will do

www.riverisland.com/women/_/N-7xi?Ntt=White+camis

SweetChickadee Wed 11-May-16 19:44:26

Have you tried department store lingerie departments?

I'm not in the uk but I got a nice Jockey cami a while back that fits your description.

BillyDaveysDaughter Wed 11-May-16 19:44:56

I just wear a white cotton vest top, long ones for longer floaty tops and short ones for hip length tops. A vest does hug the lumps a bit but your sheer top should disguise that, and I just go a size up. Doesn't feel especially hot and I'm a fat'n.

SantinoRice Wed 11-May-16 19:45:54

I wear vest tops. I just had a quick look on ASOS & there were loads of white ones. Cami style too.

Purplepicnic Wed 11-May-16 19:48:59

I wear nude bra or nude vest under white. But the best is stretchy and skin tight so not what you want.

Debenhams? John Lewis? Similar big department store?

Charley50 Wed 11-May-16 19:49:17

I think a flesh colour (of whatever colour flesh one has) too looks nicer under white.

DragonMamma Wed 11-May-16 19:59:21

I have a few of these from Matalan that fit your description. Cheap as chips too!

www.matalan.co.uk/womens/shop-by-category/tops/camis/s2586402/cami-top

Makesomethingupyouprick Wed 11-May-16 20:14:30

E-bay. I think they're called 'swing tops' fairly fitted at the top then flare out. Only a few quid and very flattering.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 11-May-16 20:49:55

A white cami top.

JennyHolzersGhost Wed 11-May-16 21:01:18

White cotton vest from Marks or H&M. Black equivalent for dark sheer blouses.

leelu66 Wed 11-May-16 21:26:21

Have a look at the M&S sale rack, and look at the sheer tops that come with camisoles.

I bought a couple of sheer tops from there that came with cream camisoles. I rarely wear the tops, but use the camisoles alot.

I found them to be perfect, not too thin or thick, light and with adjustable straps.

I also found some nice cream and black camisoles in BHS that are perfect for summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now